1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NCD: Avatar Neo Content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phildog, Apr 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Phildog

Phildog

Feb 14, 2011
    FIRST!!! Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge and experience...and for the insight and advice you gave me while I've been shopping around for a cab. I decided on a used Avatar B410 Neo. A trade was agreed upon by both parties, and we both are quite satisfied with what we received.

At first impression, it looked like it would weigh a ton, but it's just a little heavier than the combo I traded. It's in excellent condition, and the casters add convenience. When I got it home, I plugged it into my PortaBass head and was quite surprised when I plugged in a bass. I found the tone, overall, to be very clear and "tight". I was able to dial in some nice mids, and kept clarity while doing so. Adjusting the horn via the knob on the back, gave me a nice treble which really helped define the mids and overall clarity of the sound. But good gracious, the lows are really impressive. Keep in mind though, I have nothing to really compare it too. But my ears found the tone they were looking for.

I don't work for Avatar! LOL And I don't know how many of you actually use/used them, but my humble opinion says they're pretty darn good. I'd bet there are other cabs out there that sound "better", but I'm extremely satisfied. Maybe I'll pair it with a 1X15 like I've seen many of you guys do. For now, I'm very happy.

Thanks again guys!

Attached Files:

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Have you had a chance to gig it yet?

3. Phildog

Phildog

Feb 14, 2011
    No buddy. I just got it today.

4. I bought the Avatar 212 Delta and 210 Neo cabs about 12 yrs ago. To this day they are still performing well and haven't had to call customer service :)

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've owned an Avatar b210 and an sb112. Excellent cabs for the money at the time I bought them (early 2000's).

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. wraub

wraub

Apr 9, 2004
    ennui, az
    deviated prevert
    I have had an SB112 (non-NEO) since 2004 or so, and I have never been less than pleased with it. In recording or gigs it, (sometimes in conjunction with House), has served me very well. Dave has been pleasant on the phone, as well. Very helpful.
    For what it is, imo Avatar is very hard to beat.

OP- congrats!

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. BrentSimons

BrentSimons Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2004
    Vergennes,VT USA
    Nice! I like the blue too! :)

8. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

9+ years ago when I was putting together my "two" 210 rig to be stacked as a vertical 410, I auditioned every manufacturers 210 cabinets I could find (ended-up being quite a few too!)

My ears ended-up picking two Avatar 210 cabinets loaded with Eminence 2510 Neo drivers.

I did find one manufacturers 210 cabinet that I thought had sweeter highs over the Avatar's.
    Both cabinets "to my ears" had the same lows and mids.

In a quiet, at home setting, the Avatar's highs seemed harsher.
    But on stage in a live, loud band, the Avatar's harsher highs weren't noticed and the other manufacturers sweeter highs weren't noticed.

At that time the Avatar 210 Neo cabinets were selling for $319.00 plus shipping each, that other manufacturers 210 cabinets were selling for $850.00 plus tax each.
    I couldn't hear a $531.00 per cabinet improvement with the high-dollar cabinets.

I replaced Ampeg and Eden cabinets with these Avatars, haven't regretted the switch once.

Hope you'll be as happy with Avatar as I've been.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    grenadilla likes this.
  9. Phildog

Phildog

Feb 14, 2011
    Vet interesting read buddy. And at home, I have to agree that the highs did seem kinda harsh. I actually turned down the horn. But in a large room with a band, I turned the horn 90% and it was great. I got a lot of compliments on the whole rig. A few of the guys from other bands told me I had a great amp. And the reason it wasn't a better seller was NOT because of the amp itself, but the cab it was paired with. One guy Roger (a great guy and talented bassist), connected his Ampeg 410HLF to my rig for a 2x410 setup and it blew us away. Incredibly loud and punchy!

10. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois

When I replaced my Ampeg and Eden gear with the two Avatar 210 Neo's one of the Ampeg cabinets that was replaced was a Ampeg 410HLF.

The 410HLF is a nice cabinet, it just had to much emphasis on the lows for my ears (muddy) and the depth of the cabinet ( 19" ) was terrible to transport for me.

I can see where the combination of the extreme lows of the HLF and the fuller range of the B410 would compliment each other.

When the guys from other bands say you have a great rig except for the cab it's paired with tell em', judge with your ears....not your eyes. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  11. mind your impedances. Afaik a 410HLF is a 4 ohm cab. Your amp looks SS, likely 4 ohm minimum. That dual 410 stack would be a good way to kill the amp if my suspensions are correct.

12. Phildog

Phildog

Feb 14, 2011
    The PB800 is rated at 800 watts @ 2 Ohms buddy.

13. Must have shaken some dust out of the ceiling.

14. Phildog

Phildog

Feb 14, 2011
    It was mind blowing. LOL

15. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers Supporting Member

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    I'm also a B210 neo/SB112 neo guy. I've been gigging that setup with an MB500 for about a year and have never been happier with my tone.