NCD! Avatar SB126.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bordinco90, Jun 2, 2019.

Tags:
  1. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Yeah I thought about that. They put the badge on the 112 cabinet as if you were to stack them with the port on the side.

But with one I put the port on the bottom with the sideways badge - guess you can't have it both ways. Oh well.

bordinco90 likes this.
  2. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    Actually 4Mal - I just got lucky. My church just got this crazy house system and for me 3 subs. So I no longer carry amp or cabinet.

3 subs, 7 mains and 15 monitors - I can hear from everywhere.

3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    My guess is that because the cab was designed around the Delta12 LF - which is a really good, not terribly expensive driver, just heavy... and my guess is that is what folks are buying. truth is there is a weight advantage to the 3012 LF but in the very low end (under say 50hz) the response is pretty lumpy. In my opinion, the port area is too skinny, the shelf may be too shallow. Definitely something not right about it when compared to a shell designed for the driver. IMO the Delta 12lf sounds better. Yes I have had both. The SB-112 with Delta 12 LF is my fav Avatar followed by the 212 with Delta LF's then the 210... I have enough stuff to move though. If a cab isn't light, it simply won't make the cut for me.

for those playing along at home...
    fEarful 12 sub port is 2.5 tall, 15.5 wide, 11 deep
    sbm-112 port is 2 tall, 15.5 wide, 7 deep

so reasonably close or dramatically different ? that question is what sets the Duke LeJune and Greenboy designers apart from folks aiming at the mid market.

and just for the record. My current cabs are a pair of un-tweetered, Delta LF loaded Aguillar DB-112. at 40 lbs per cab, they are pushing my weight limit ... and yeah... I am pondering a mod with the alphalite sealed back 6" mid driver in the top cab of the stack. and like LJ.. I'm in love with a Mesa Subway D-800. first amp to sway me from GK in ages...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Passinwind, LennyJ and bordinco90 like this.
  4. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    I should say I tried to order a 4 ohm, not sure about 8.

5. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I looked. I believe it's off of their website.

Seano76 likes this.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I should probably order a Delta 12 LF swap, sell and build an actual fEarful... hmmm. I actually have a Delta Lf 8 ohm 12 on the shelf... My Renkus Heinz wedges use that - great wedges - but a keyboard guy found the limits with his synth last summer. So now I keep one on the shelf... stay tuned

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  7. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Heh. Yel_wink.gif

8. I need to buy a small cab like the SB126 for my keyboard use as an immediate practice cab.
    I'm attracted to the 12+6 configuration instead of a Foster tweeter.
    The Delta 12LF is closer to the ideal internal volume than the other options.

I'm curious how the owners of this cab feel about the bottom end and upper range.

bordinco90 and jeff7bass like this.
  9. Seano76

Seano76

Apr 10, 2018
    Awesome low end for its size. I use mine as an extension for a SWR superredhead and it has plenty of bottom end. I don't miss the 2X15 hartke cab I used before at all. I think my hearing is a bit shot on the high end, so I'll let someone else answer that but its got good thump for sure.

bgavin likes this.
  10. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I wish I got the SB126 but the SB112 is great also. Mine is Blue Tolex. Beautiful! Plenty of oomph to play a rock gig all by itself also, say with a 200w-300w amp. It's a little bigger than most 112 cabs but it sounds bigger also, almost like a 115 cab.

bordinco90 likes this.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Not sure what this means. Yes the default is the Delta12LF, but I upgraded to the lighter NEO which is a Deltalite2 2512 and it's not "lumpy" at all.

12. My needs are both for electric bass and keys, so the 6" is important for me.
    I have both 12LF and 2512 in stock, and can swap out should the need arise.
    However, 12LF is a very close match for the internal volume of the SB126, which is good enough.
    I don't care about the 7 pounds difference in weight.

13. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Where I hear lumpy is in the 40 to 60 hz range with the SB-126 loaded with a 3012lf. The low usable frequency on a 2512-11 is 58 hz. My guess is that the 2512-11 isn't as capable of loading up the port as the 3012-lf. Result being that the delta lite, in that cab rolls off more gracefully than the 3012-lf.

If it sounds like I'm slamming Avatar, I'm not. Dave has a good business model. I respect him and Avatar. They make a quality product that is focused on durability and low cost. He occupies the land between Seismic Audio and cork sniffing boo-teak. and he makes no pretentious to be something he isn't. His stuff is at least as good and often better than GK, Ampeg, Markbass etc. and it is a heck of a lot cheaper. He also gives really good customer service.

For those reading along.. 3.5k was the crossover point for the original Avatar tweeter. My guess is that Dave has one crossover and uses it in everything. Basically he would let the driver roll off naturally but prevent the tweeter from doing anything in the range where the speaker was rolling off. That isn't a terrible approach.

I'm planning on doing something similar on an upcoming build. 2 3012-lf, 2 3" faital mid/hi cone drivers. Chamber based on the fearful 1212 sub plus a top chamber for the mids.

I'll figure the crossover out using an old BSS Mini Drive driverack then hopefully I'll be able to coerce Passinwind into a crossover design - which would be completely over my head...

won't be cutting any wood until I get rid of this. Until then I'm playing with synth programming...
    image.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
    eriky4003 and jeff7bass like this.
  14. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    Damn. Good luck with the leg. Dave's cabs are what they are, mid-priced and good performers. I really like mine. It's not as clear as my DRB 1260 was but for most of the songs I played in my last band, it sounded great with a 300w amp. It's voiced for rock and blues IMO.

15. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Exactly. No pretentions otherwise which in this industry is refreshing...

Had a scope, last Thursday. Postponed from March as I couldn't wrap my head around going to an urban hospital with Covid ramping ... They have the protocols in place and experience and given I could get in before the onset of flu combined with Covid, this seemed like good timing. I had to get Covid tested the day prior, that might have no been the worst part...
    Anyway, the aircast is a good thing not bad! I might actually get a ski season this year! Yay!

jeff7bass likes this.
  16. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Mine had the 12LF and it had tons of bottom end. It was almost sub-like. The upper range was great as well. I have since sold this cab. I will miss it, but my Avatar 410 is getting all the love now.

17. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    I know a little something about that blue tolex!
    20200409_212114-jpg.jpg

jeff7bass likes this.
  18. I called Dave and ordered the SB126 with the COTS Delta 12LFA.
    Eminence does the design work for the cabs, which is why they perform as good as they do.

Those having an interest in the design, can browse the 12LFA on the Eminence site, and download the CABINETS PDF for this driver. The SB126 volume is close to the Eminence Large cabinet design. It trades away maximum power handling (cone excursion) for a deeper bass response.

Avatar's Neo drivers are proprietary Eminence OEM specs, and different from Eminence COTS offerings.
    These are also integrated with the cab design.

jeff7bass and bordinco90 like this.
  19. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Congrats! They are really great cabs and made very well. I didn't want to get rid of mine, but Guitar Center was having a sale of Markbass heads and I sold my SB126 to Guitar Center. It is actually still for sale at the Beaumont, TX location. Whoever gets it will get a great cab.

bgavin likes this.
  20. Dave builds 'em the old fashioned way: 3/4" birch ply. Heavy and sturdy. Years ago, I was the tag-along with Leland Crooks (speakerhardware.com) at NAMM, and I got to meet Jerry McNutt from Eminence. He is an outstanding man, and top notch in the design work. His designs are the ones you can download from the Eminence site.

Avatar is a big player and moves a lot of product for Eminence. Jerry does his design work and Dave builds them to these specs. The Delta 12LFA in the SB126 is COTS, and can be replaced with an identical consumer driver, should I blow one up. The Avatar Neos are proprietary and should be replaced with the same model driver from Avatar. I am certain the other OEMs work the same way.

spatters and jeff7bass like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021