NCD Fearful 12/6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by turcmic, Jul 22, 2019.

1. turcmic

turcmic Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    33778C8B-06F6-4F65-A043-6D8B959D2B9E.jpeg My first build is almost completed, a few minor touch-ups and finish coat and it will be done. I plugged my 5-string in my trust-worthy Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0. I plugged the cab. Turned on the amp. I have a band rehearsal tomorrow and we are taking a shot at Slither from Velvet Revolver. Hmmmm... low D, rock and roll... why not! A « gentle » test drive with half the screws on the speakers.

I am now a believer. It’s everything they say.

2. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Nice work

EatS1stBassist and turcmic like this.
  3. turcmic

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    (Insert your favourite 4-letter word)

My drill slipped on the last screw, on the mid speaker.... hole on the rubbery edge...

Is shoe goo a good solution?

Man, it felt good only for less than 30 minutes...

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Always use two hands when screwing in speakers. One on the drill, one holding the screw and covering the speaker. Guess you know that now!

Shoe goo is probably not a good idea, that driver will never be right, depending on the damage. Can you post a good picture of the rip?

MrLenny1 and turcmic like this.
  5. turcmic

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    And make a pre-hole and make jigs for the router (for handle and jack plate)... yes, my first build and learned a lot...

Here’s a pic
    08B84A99-5783-4D43-9CE6-3A900311671C.jpeg

I spent the night looking for DIY solutions (hey, it’s a DIY project!). I found out that a lot of people use silicone. Some sell their secret stuff (parts express), with their own label without any description of the content...

Thanks for your help @mmbongo

6. turcmic

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    Some seem to use Silicone like Permatex RTV silicone adhesive or few drops of Super Glue. Any help is appreciated!

OzzyGreg likes this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Man that’s a tough spot for a mid driver. You need something thick and pliable so silicone might be the way to go. I’ve done that before. I’d be worried about it buzzing though.

turcmic likes this.
  8. turcmic

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    Thanks
    I’ll sleep on it :oops:

9. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    Duct tape!

TinIndian and EatS1stBassist like this.
  10. Start another thread. ''Help, I put my screwdriver through my mid driver!"

11. H Nighttrain

H Nighttrain

Feb 12, 2018
    I'd suspect a re-cone is the only real fix, sorry for your mishap!

12. i did the same to a speaker. brought it in for a recone and the repair guy said it could be fixed with dope. he brushed it on pretty heavily on the top and underneath and sent me home with it. said it would be fine to test in 24 hours and if it didn't work, bring it back and he'll recone it. it worked.

13. turcmic

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    Thanks. I will do more research on doping material.

Fortunately, the speaker itself is affordable (around 60-70 Canadian dollars) so reconing is probably not an economic option.

AudioTaper and EatS1stBassist like this.
  14. salcott

salcott Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    NYC, Inwood.
    Recone or replace. Never use a drill on speaker screws. I punched a hole in a Gauss 18" many years ago and learned that lesson the expensive way.

15. Because it is a mid with a crossover it should never see the lows that cause big excursion,
    so maybe that part is not so very bad.
    It does count on being sealed, so that part will have to be dealt with.
    I would definately try dope, silicone or something.

If it works, then great.
    If not, you were already going to need to replace it.

Cheer up.
    If you had built the 15/6/1 those mids are a bit more pricey. ;)

turcmic likes this.
  16. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Recone or Rubber Cement

Silicone or Superglue = no no

17. turcmic

Jul 30, 2006
    Montreal, QC
    I see you’re from Montreal. Have you tried the rubber cement? And do you know a speaker repair shop in town? Did a research on the interweb but only found obscure shops

Thanks

18. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx! Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Question is, will FOH engineers mic it instead of just running the bass direct

19. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    The 12/6 is a great little cab. I'm coming up on a decade with mine. I found the Shuttle 6.0 a little under powered for hard rock stuff. Depends on how loud you play I guess. Great sounding head at lower volumes. Just FYI, sometime if you push your amp to clipping, it will make the mid sound distorted. So it may not be your speaker repair if you hear that. I've found my GK MBFusion 800 to be the perfect match for my 12/6. And I also learned the hard way with installing speakers with a screw gun. I lost a 3012LF because I was rushing to finish my cab. (OUCH!)

turcmic likes this.
  20. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Yes I have tried rubber cement ( it was recommendation from Bill Fitzmaurice somewhere on his forum). I did the exact same thing on a 4" subwoofer and it worked fine. I wouldn't expect it to hold up on the Alpha 12 but it is certainly worth trying on the mid. Try not to glue the folds together (apply several thin layers, drying in between coats).

No I dont know any local recone shops.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021