1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCD: Finally got a fEARFUL!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brother Goose, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Brother Goose

Brother Goose The Process IS the Reward! Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    image. After coveting/researching and daydreaming for at least a year I have finally acquired a fearful cab: a 12/6 cube w 6a driver.

Bought the cab from a local TBer and traded a pair of cabs to cover the expense of speakers/installation.

Wow.

I played a blues gig last night w my meager Carvin Bx 500 and absolutely rocked the house.

My plan is use a Carvin hd 3000 amp for larger rooms and combine w my JBL thiele 15 to add some additional lows (in reality, it'll probably be a speaker stand).

Ain't life grand?

pacojas, lomo, cerrem and 4 others like this.
  2. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    :D

lookin good!

Brother Goose likes this.
  3. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Why that's a sweet little paint job and a very nicely built Cube there

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You'll be lucky to hear the jbl. It will make a nice, heavy speaker stand though... Now go forth and source a 12.Sub...

Brother Goose and Noylin like this.
  5. Noylin

Noylin Supporting Member

May 28, 2014
    Cuse
    you should know! ;)

kbakerde likes this.
  6. Brother Goose

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    all things in time...

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep. Got that! For me the reality is that my 12.sub rarely comes off the truck. When it does, it is often just too elevate the 12.6... Once in a while I get o fire it up in anger though and it pumps!

8. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Just to clarify, just because the JBL is a 15", don't automatically assume it will add lows. Common myth here. The fEARful 12/6 has plenty of lows to go around.

It's also possible you will fry your JBL cab as the fEARful will take more watts than the JBL.

9. Ugh. The dreaded mismatched speaker argument... Cool cab though.

10. Brother Goose

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I'd use it with a crossover and it's a 600 watt cab. I came over from the vertical 210 school and don't mix drivers if I avoid it....

11. really? What crossover plan, what fifteen? Which Thiele box?

12. Brother Goose

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    I believe it's a 2226 JBL driver- 600 watts @ 8 ohms. I'd use the crossover in my power amp to attenuate highs. Probably just run 200hz and below. The JBL really just serves as a speaker stand until I can get another 12/6 cube.

13. Foz

Foz

Jul 26, 2008
    Jax FL USA
    If you do use it be sure to check polarity - I believe that is a black post positive = forward motion driver.

14. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Are you getting an identical cube? I found more versatility for myself if I get two matching instead of full range and sub. Just my preference. Congrats on the awesome cab! :thumbsup:

Jim Carr and Brother Goose like this.
  15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I have done the second fEARful thing, though in the 15/6/1 over 15sub world. I have found the 15/6/1 over a reverse baffle 15/1/6 sounds better to me than the 15/6/1 over a 15sub.

This may not apply to the 12/6 and 12sub thing, but I love the fEARful lows and clean volume. With the right power amp, the reverse baffle rig just kills for me.

Brother Goose and wcriley like this.
  16. Brother Goose

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    Mark my words- I would NEVER build a box that couldn't serve as a stand-alone. Unless someone offers me a 12 sub for $200 I know i'll have a mid driver involved.

wcriley likes this.
  17. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Consider them marked. :cool:

18. Brother Goose

Dec 4, 2013
    Syracuse NY
    God Is Love
    update to zombie thread: have been running these cabs with a Carvin HD3000 and use the 15 as a sub/stand. It sounds incredible

Gearhead17 likes this.