1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCD for me - yippee!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vince Klortho, Feb 23, 2016.

1. I have been looking for a Genz Benz 2x12 cabinet with the neodymium speakers for quite a while after I played through one and really liked it. I finally found one on-line and had it shipped clear across the country to me from New York. It is in pristine condition and sounds terrific. It is even better than I remembered. I decided enough was enough since I can order off the senior menu now and so can my chief roadie - my wife. This thing weighs about the same as the amplifier I used to use. I have a dinky class D amp coming so I'll be saving over 90 pounds on my load in. What fun!

Have any of you folks gone on a severe diet with your stuff lately ie., major weight loss?

pacojas likes this.
  2. BTW - I know the mantra. When the amp gets here I'll post a picture of the whole set up.

3. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I was in the same boat and found my GB neo 212 locally a few months ago. It replaced a heavy-@ss Avatar B412 (which is a great cab....just heavy non-neo version). I couldn't be happier and my back thanks me every load in/out. Can't say I've noticed a huge lack of volume either. The GB 212 is a SURPRISINGLY loud, full, clear cabinet.

4. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    I sold my Carvin BX1200 head (25 pounds) and matching 4x10 cabinet (50 pounds) and replaced it with a Mesa D800 head (5 pounds) and PH610 cabinet (100 pounds)....kind of a wash since the PH610 has wheels and is easier to move, but I could fit the 4x10 in the backseat of my car by myself (barely). PH610 would need wife's SUV for sure.

5. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Oh yea, congrats on the new cab!

6. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Last year, I got rid of:
    3 rack case with Ampeg B1R, Tech21 SansAmp, Behringer compressor - about 35 lbs.
    1 Hartke XL 1x15 cab - about 50 lbs.
    1 SWR Workingman 2x19 cab - about 45 lbs.

And replaced it with a Fender Rumble 500 v3 - 36.5 lbs. lighter and 1 trip instead of 3.

7. lexington125

lexington125

Sep 11, 2013
    hollywood, baby......
    someday I will find 4 or 5 other guys who want to play the blues the way it was played before it became all about guitar heroics
    someone has to voice an opposing view. I'm also getting up there in years. As someone who does nothing more physical at work than walking across campus to attend a meeting, I consider humping gear part of my exercise regimen - it may just keep me alive. I'm past the point of buying something "good enough" because it fits my budget. Everything I purchase now I consider to be something I will own until I die. So I buy what I consider the best sounding, best constructed gear available; either well maintained, used tube gear from the 50s - 70s or new, high end products that strive to offer the best of the old gear, only in brand new, with warranty, condition. Every time I hoist a 50lb tube head or a stack of 1-12 cabs (42lbs each), I smile at not needing to hit the gym that day. And yes, I live in the big city, take public transportation just about everywhere; on gig day, I have the direct numbers for cab drivers who drive vans instead of the usual Prius. My only compromise has been with my backup rig. For many years I carried a Mesa D180 just in case my Bass 400 failed. (It failed exactly once, the day after it arrived and I took it to an out of town gig). I no longer carry a second full size tube head, the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 sounds good enough, especially as it never gets used. Heavy gear rules - 4 out of 5 doctors agree! (the fifth doctor plays an upright w/ gut strings and no amp)

8. I don’t think you will so you’ll have to conVINCE me!! LOL

9. As I threatened, here's a shot of the amp and cabinet. I don't have much time with them yet but I like what I've heard so far. I definitely like the size and weight of this combination.

IMG_0339.JPG

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I really thought that was a mammoth 2x15 cabinet until I clicked on the image... nice cab, I bet it thunders.

Vince Klortho likes this.
  11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nice man....you're going to be impressed with the volume and low end that little beast can put out. I'm a big fan of 12" cabs and have had an Avatar 212, Avatar B412 and the GB neo 212. The Avatars are amazing for the money but the GB neo 212 is my favorite cab I've owned so far. I always chuckle when I 1st plug into to it and crank to rehearsal or stage volume.

Vince Klortho likes this.