1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCD: Greenboy Fearless F112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by interp, Jul 5, 2019.

1. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    For some odd reason I got rid of the two F112’s I used to own. I corrected this mistake today when I took delivery of a brand new F112 from Don Barry. This guy’s work is perfection! Will probably be ordering a second identical one soon.

Attached Files:

jeff7bass, Kro, barrybass33 and 5 others like this.
  2. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    cool :thumbsup:

I have been watching Fearless cabs for some time now. I am very happy with my Berg cabs and don't have any gas at all these days.
    But I am always interested in ways to improve my live sound approach.

I have a few questions for you.
    When you got rid of your original F112's, why did you do that ?
    What cab(s) did you replace them with ?
    What did the replacement cabs NOT do that the F112 does ?
    Can you say something about what kind of music you usually play and what other gear you use (bass, amps, fx, ect.) ... on edit .. I see from the pics you are using a Jule Monique and some kind of class D (?) power.

glad you're back to using gear that you enjoy.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  3. CharlieC

CharlieC Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2010
    New York, NY
    Congrats!

IMHO, you now (again) own the best 112 cabinet on the planet and you likely have a mirrored 112 soon to come.

Is the F112 the lightest in class? No.

Can one buy an F112 at Sweetwater or Thomann? No.

Will an F112 familiarly color my tone like my favorite, traditional cab? No.

For those seeking the best in sound reproduction, it is Fearless for the win!

Cheers!

[​IMG]

interp likes this.
  4. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    When I previously had the two F112’s I was very happy with them but like you I am always looking around for some refinement in my gear. (I’ve owned several Bergs and liked them very much.) I became enamored of the Euphonic Audio VL series cabs (which they stopped making around 2001) and used them for a few years. They (the EA cabs) were and are magnificent. I still have a VL-208. But I recently listened to a live recording of me playing the Jule Monique>bridged power section of a stereo Walter Woods>two Greenboy F112’s and realized that it was the best live sound I’ve had in over 50 years of playing.

So it wasn’t so much what the replacement cabs were not doing, but what the F112’s were doing—amazing fidelity, power handling up the yin-yang, rock solid low B, etc. etc. One works great for nearly any small to medium room, two are jaw-dropping for any large room/outdoor/non-FOH situation.

I play a variety of stuff—classic rock, blues, Motown, soul, funk, pop—and these cabinets handle it all. Mostly small to medium rooms with a moderately loud four or five piece band(s). Lately I run either the Monique through a R.A.D. Engineering Pascal power amp (in the picture) which puts out 1000 RMS into a 4 ohm load/600 into 8, or the Walter Woods stereo bridged, 1000 into 4/700 into 8. I almost never have FOH support. Almost never need it for my applications. The only effects I use are an HPF and a compression pedal.

For the meantime I plan to run the F112 with the EA VL-208 for when I need more horsepower, but I have not tried that combination yet and am not sure if they will play together well. I strongly suspect that either way I will be getting a second F112.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    16notes and CharlieC like this.
  5. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Best cab on the planet.
    But, you already knew that.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 1:11 PM
    interp and CharlieC like this.
  6. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    thanks for the info and your insights.
    seeing as how you liked your Berg cabs and obviously really like the F112, can you say a little something about how the F112 and the Berg cabs differ ?
    I keep thinking I should try and figure out how to try one of these F112's in person .. only problem is that they are not terribly common anywhere and I don't feel like dropping the dough they command in order to buy one and do an in-person test.

barrybass33 and interp like this.
  7. interp

interp Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2005
    Garmisch, Germany
    It’s a bit difficult for me to A/B the F112 and the Bergs I’ve owned, as I never played them as a part of comparably configured rigs, and it’s been about five years since I’ve used Bergs. I can tell you that my favorite Bergantino rig was an IP112ER with an HT112ER and that was basically a dead heat with two F112’s. I have the subjective impression that the F112’s are a bit more robust in handling frequencies below 40 Hz and in overall power handling.

With respect to all “high end” gear of this sort I am in a situation where I cannot try any of it out in advance, so I buy stuff, have it shipped over here, use it for a while and then perhaps go on to the next thing. I always sell something before buying something new (I’m not Tom Bowlus after all), so there is often a time and memory gap between various combinations of gear and it’s pretty much impossible for me to A/B rigs. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I favor the F112’s over the Bergie 1x12 cabs I’ve used, but it’s very close. If I had good recordings of the Bergie cabs to compare with my one really good recording of the two F112’s I might change my mind.

Hope this is helpful.

pfschim likes this.
  8. pfschim

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    thanks again for the experience/insights. Loved the Tom B comment. :thumbsup:

I do pretty much the same with trying out gear as you do ... buy it, try it, then decide if it is incrementally better than what I currently run.
    I have pretty much stopped going through cabs since I got my Bergs (CN112, CN212 and NV610) and have mostly focused my efforts on amps, preamps and fx (not many of those).

I keep my eyes open for fearless cabs as well as the Barefaced stuff as both of these get my attention.
    Just have to see what happens. So much great gear for bass players these days. Got to keep reminding myself that playing more is better than having more gear ;)

interp and barrybass33 like this.
  9. 16notes

16notes Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Sweet! Congrats

interp likes this.
  10. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    your mentions of the VL's and the Berg as a reference point has increased my F112 gas by about 300%. And it was already high. I think I need to try one.

interp likes this.