1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NCD: Marshall 1520 with original Sidewinders (and a problem)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Clammy, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    After searching for years, I finally got a Marshall 1520 4x12 JCM 800 Bass Series cab with the original Celestion Sidewinders, in good shape, and for a great price! I got it home yesterday, and only had the chance to plug it in today. I was all excited to finally hear the 12" Sidewinders (as I LOVE the 15" Sidewinders in my Marshall 1552 2x15 cab!), but the first thing I noticed: sound was only coming from one side :( Turns out that the bottom left speaker has a broken wire between the cone and the positive terminal... sigh... I've never seen this before. Anyone know if this is easily fixable?

Pics:

Broken wire

DSCN0989_zps0afd2c7d.

I'll be painting the grill black.

DSCN0986_zpsd4581c5a.

DSCN0987_zpsfffe11c9.

DSCN0985_zps62ce1fe6.

DSCN0983_zps8650aceb.

DSCN0975_zps1c41aa32.

I really want to get that speaker fixed up so I can give this cab a whirl!

Cheers!
    :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Check the voice coil with an ohmmeter. It should read a few ohms. The pigtail looks like it burned to me which could indicate a shorted coil. Try joining the two halves with a spot of solder. If the driver now works, take it to a speaker guy and have the pigtail replaced. If not same trip for a re-cone.

3. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Got the wire soldered back together. The speaker measures out at ~6.8 ohms, and there's no cone rub, so it should be good to go. I'll reinstall it when I get home in a few hours, give it a go, and let you know.

Cheers!

4. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    No it's NOT good to go. The pigtail NEEDS to be replaced. As it is it'll just break again. The cost to replace will just be a few bucks.

Edit: You must have a speaker guy in Ottawa. Someone has to take care of all those loudspeakers on the hill! :D

5. Solder is an electronic connection, not a mechanical one. If you just soldered the pieces together it WILL fail again.

6. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think the hookers in the Byward Market take care of the "loudspeakers" on the hill, hahahaha!!!

I don't know of anyone/place doing speaker repairs here. I'm going to give it a whirl as is, and keep my fingers crossed for now. In the meantime, I'll seek out a place that does speaker repairs, and hope it holds until I can find one.

Cheers!

7. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Clammy, I just did a Google search on "loudspeaker repair Ottawa" and received a fairly large list of places. One of them should be close enough to you. The repair is so simple that they might well do it on the spot for you.

8. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    A caution if I may: with a DCR such as you measured I would assume an 8Ω cabinet wired series/parallel with 8Ω drivers. If you use the cab and the repair opens then one or more drivers stop working. That change in configuration could well lead to physical damage to other drivers and necessitate one or more re-cones.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    +1 to both of these guys Clammy.

Solder, though it is a form of molten metal, is not like "welding" the wires together. It makes a great electrical connection, but not a great physical one. Those wires between the connections and the cones get vibrated constantly while you play along with the speaker cone. Replacement is a great idea.

Being wired series/parallel, if that comes loose, it can also disconnect the other speaker it's in a series pair with, leaving you with 2 speakers trying to soak up power that was meant for 4 all the while operating in twice the cabinet space they should and things could go really wrong, really quick.

Aside from the "scolding" :D congratulations on finally finding one of these, so now go take proper good care of her so you don't end up blowing more, spending more, and delaying your enjoyment.

10. BassmanPaul

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    ^^^^^^^ YEAH!!! What he said!! ^^^^^^^^^

:D

11. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks everyone. I'll get it fixed properly. Luckily, I don't need to use this cab right away, so I can wait until the speaker is fixed.

Cheers!