NCD Mesa Subway 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Smooth Operator, Dec 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Smooth Operator

Smooth Operator Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2017
    South Jersey
    My new Mesa 2x12 finally arrived 3 months after placing the order on Sweetwater(back ordered). I also have a 1x15 cab that I've been using for over a year now that I love. It took me a while to choose between 2x12, 1x12, 2x10, or another 1x15. I hope I made the right choice. I hear the 12/15 and 15/15 combos are glorious, but the idea of having 1 medium sized punchy cab that can combo with my 15" if needed was right up my alley. This is my first 2x12 cab. I've only owned 4x10s and 1x15s and I'm excited to hear how it sounds solo and at band practice. I'll report back after my next band practice which may be a couple weeks because my family has Covid-19 and we're quarantined for a while. Do any of you guys have this cab or a combo of Mesa Subway Cabs? I would like to hear you opinions.

Anyway now is the time to wake the baby and wife :D 20201202_113500.jpg

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Try the 212 on top of the 115, set the amp to 2 ohm mode.

3. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Congrats, very nice rig. Speedy recovery to you and your family.

DrThumpenstein, Al Kraft and TonH like this.
  4. Looking forward to hearing the report, Sir.

eadg98005 and Al Kraft like this.
  5. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I have the singles, they're great paired. I have a 2X12 from another brand. You'll love the punch from those 12s. Sooner you get your baby accustomed to bass the better.

Mastermold and Atheist Roo like this.
  6. Sad to hear the pandemic found your family. I wish you all complete recoveries.

I have a Mesa rig, but not those Subway cabs; I also have a 2ohm 1x15+2x12 rig, but not Mesa; so I can offer only a mildly informed hunch (what else is new around here?), but I bet you’ll like those cabs together.

I’m mostly just here to congratulate you on what I’m sure is a quality cab :thumbsup:

7. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    What little hearing I have left finds this to be a glorious statement

agedhorse likes this.
  8. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

tenor.png

Rezdog, jjk2007, SLO Surfer and 15 others like this.
  9. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
  10. BOOG

BOOG

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Congrats. Enjoy. Good health to you and the family.

Atheist Roo likes this.
  11. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    Very solid looking cab. Standalone with that head, S/B enough muscle to conquer just about any gig.

Atheist Roo likes this.
  12. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    YESSSSS!!!!!!!

13. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    I used 810’s forever. Then I went to 410’s and about 8 years ago I started using 212’s. That’s all I use now! Once you’ve used a 212 it’s hard to go back to anything else IMO.

Having said that, the Mesa 212 and the GK Neo 212’s were my least favorite I tried. They both were boomy IMO. A lot of people love both but I just couldn’t make them work for me. Currently I own the Darkglass 212. The Ampeg SVT 212 and then (2) Orange OBC 112’s

14. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    I'm sure you will be pleased...I absolutely love mine ! Covers all my bases.

Best wishes on the healing !

Atheist Roo likes this.
  15. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I have the ampeg 2x12 too, best cab i've had, would like to try 2 x12 oranges at some point

16. retroXvertigo

retroXvertigo Tone is stored in the balls. Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2017
    Baltimore
    Congrats! I have two of the SW115s and a SW410 on the way. (Back ordered as well)

17. kavallero

kavallero

Nov 27, 2020
    Congrats on the purchase, lovely rig ...!

Atheist Roo likes this.
  18. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I have that same head and cabinet. I have nothing bad to say about it. I used it often during the 2019 season at both indoor and outdoor venues. Our band has decent FOH PA so this rig is perfect. Easy to move. Easy to dial in my sound. It sounds amazing.. I like to drive the head and usually have gain somewhere in the 12-3 o’clock range. Plenty of volume and headroom. Maintenance free so far. I “might” purchase a 4x10 when we start working steadily.

I was considering getting 2 single 12” cabs but I never play shows where I can use a single cab. The damping control is set in low mode pretty much all of the time. I primarily play 4 string Precision Basses and sometimes an active 4 string. I can’t speak to how this rig works with a 5 string bass.

Sadly.. it now resides in storage ...

Atheist Roo likes this.
  19. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Thats a nice rig had the exact same. That cabinet can take some power with aplomb.

20. kavallero

kavallero

Nov 27, 2020

What's the weight of the cab, is it a back breaker or not really ..?!

57pbass likes this.