1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NCD - New Conga Day

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bolophonic, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I had been casually checking these bad boys out on Craigslist for a couple of weeks and suddenly found myself with enough cash to put in an inquiry about them. Astonishingly, they were still available today. They are wine-red Synergy congas, moderate use, slight mojo, and a steal at $125.00 with a stand.

image-3289332123.

Attached Files:

2. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Cool! I love playing congas. Never heard of Synergy. Where are they made? Quinto and conga?

3. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Synergy is a budget line of Toca. These are very nicely made and much more musical than a lot of other congas I've owned. I read that the wood is maple, but the grain under the trams finish is more figured than any maple I have seen. They seem way too light to be oak. The big difference that I see between these and the Tocas I used to have is in the hardware: the stand is a piece of junk and they don't come with handles (!)

Judging by the price, I am guessing these were not made in the United States.

Yes, this is the conga and quinto.

4. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for the info. I actually prefer congas without handles and I don't know of too many top-of-the-line models that incorporate them.

5. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Very cool. I love congas. :smug:

Percussion makes an excellent "second" instrument for nearly any bassist. I don't own congas, but I do have a nice pair of bongos, a pair of doumbeks, a pair of tambourines, claves, maracas, shakers...and of course, a pair of cowbells. :smug:

MM

6. Congas: Bongos w/bigger balls. Want(congas, not bigger balls). :cool:

7. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I got a pair from GC roughly a bazillion years ago. They were a 'Cosmic Percussion Daito Pair', initally just the conga and the quinto. I followed up a few months later by adding an LP Tumba and a pair of bongos on a stand. I used them at practice when I couldn't express the ideas I had for drum parts verbally. Because, seriously, no one makes sense saying "Give me sort of a ummp - tat - unh unh -ta dit tum." So I'd say "Okay this drum is the snare. This one's kick. Rack tom. Ride." and then play the pattern I was picturing.

They basically don't get used anymore.

8. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    A side note on the percussion/bassist connection: I played with a pick for the first 10 years, plateaued, and then impulsively traded my bass for a set of congas out of boredom.

After about a year of playing congas, I felt inspired to trade them back in for another bass. This time around, I had no interest in the pick... learning how to coax a wide palette of tones from two skins gave me a huge understanding of finger style playing and I have not used a pick in almost 15 years.

Even though I have considered myself a bassist for 25 years, my only current gig is as the percussionist in my band. In my opinion, nothing can take a bass player to the next level quite like learning the congas.

9. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    Or any percussion for that matter.

I've almost always had the bandroom at my house, so there's always a drumkit here. As a result, I've taught myself how to play over the years, and actually ended up getting quite good at it.

It really helps with locking in with the drummer, now that I have a better understanding of the drumkit.

10. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I've never played a top-of-the-line conga before. Just regular MOR gear. I am going to have to install handles or make some gig bags with straps, because I am about to gig the heck out of these puppies.

11. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I took conga lessons for a year and still mean to get back with my old teacher. Although I'd listened to a lot of Afro-Cuban music my interest in congas was sparked mainly by my love of D.C. go-go. There's a guy here in Quebec who makes great hand drums (his company's name is Mo' Perc) and I was lucky enough to get a good deal on three of his congas last year (quinto, conga, tumba).

12. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Man, I love some Go-Go... I randomly saw E.U. a couple of summers ago, but my big regret is never seeing the Junkyard Band when I lived in DC.

My band recently added a new percussionist who used to play with Sun Ra and his Arkestra. I am very excited to learn from him.

13. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I never lived in D.C. and I never saw Junkyard, but I did see the other "Yard" band (Backyard Band) a few years back and they were heavy. Have fun with the new percussionist!