1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NCD (New old Cab Day)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Roxbororob, May 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Roxbororob

Roxbororob Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    A great day!

I’ve been trolling and trolling waiting for an old Acoustic Control folded horn (old school, bulky, don’t care, want one). Well yesterday I landed one. Had to act fast, set the hook and reeled it in by lunchtime.

The last old Acoustic anything I saw locally was a 360/361 set maybe a two years ago. Way overpriced but sold in a day or two.

Wasn’t sure if it was a 301 or 371 (poor picture on Kijiji) and price was low "sold as is". Like I said I jumped on it and got it home the same day during my lunch break (man what a looong morning it was). I didn’t have my Fluke at home but could not resist, had to plug it in (the guy said it still worked).

Wellll now... it works!

Stated out easy but it took all my will power not to overdo it. I gave it 3- 4 minutes and went back to work happy as a pig in ..it.

It’s quite a bit beat up, but everything is there. Best of all the original speaker is in great shape (surround is A-OK, no wrinkles tears or ripples in the cone, no sense of rubbing in the coil and shows 5 ohms DC). I’m not reconing it. I will do some restoration work, but only the bare minimum required (re glue torn tolex, some minor wood repairs, un do the botch white interior paint job, new 12Ga wire etc.). Definitely don’t want to mess with its mojo.

Lets see if I can post and label my photos as well as BassCliff[....
    (Ill post more as the work progresses)

Here she is after my lunchtime test (no smoke/no tears).
    IMG_0812.JPG

IMG_0823.JPG

Did I mention she is a 1978 IMG_0869.JPG 301?
    IMG_0836.JPG
    Garish white brush job (has to go)
    IMG_0841.JPG
    Paint on the barrel of the plug, no worries Ill fix that (look at that teeny wire).

IMG_0842.JPG

Speaker looks great!
    IMG_0858.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0869.JPG

Cabinet was built in 1975 by Mr. E Scott.
    IMG_0909.JPG

Custom bottle cap inserts in Amp sockets! (I think Im going to put them back in, what say you?)
    IMG_0831.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG

Last 2 photos and its back to work...(yea right).
    IMG_0934.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  2. Previous owner had good taste in beer... and cabs! Nice find! :thumbsup:

Roxbororob likes this.
  3. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Nice score!!

Roxbororob likes this.
  4. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    Very, very nice! Congrats!

It is a 301. I have the same model, same name plate, also with original speaker.
    Looks pretty much like mine too, beat up.
    Even the story is similar. I bought mine off some guy in his 60ies, his band had been rehearsing in an old factory for like 30 years and when they moved they "found" that big cab hidden away in a corner. They didn't want to move it and sold it very cheap, saying "who knows if this still works, just take it"!
    And, oh boy, it surely still works!

What amp you're going to use with it?

Roxbororob likes this.
  5. Roxbororob

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    (Long answer) Funny story is I had just gone to see an old Dyancord tube amp on Sunday. My wife while being very very patient with my recent spurts of GAS really didnt approve. But I really want an old tube amp and this was a "steal".

I came home without the amp all proud of myself.....then I saw this Monday morning had to be Karma eh?

Back to your question; my 1st choice is my MarkBass Club 450 (the one in the first photo), I also have a Yorkville 400B or an SWR SM400. What do you think?

The guy who I bought the 301 from said he had orders to get it out of the house ASAP, he called to his wife as I was carting it away "honey guess what...". His wife was happy, my wife less so (but Im a very lucky guy).

jazzbo58 and Fuzzonaut like this.
  6. Roxbororob

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    and Thanks!

7. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    Well, that's just great!
    I don't know your amps, I tried with a solid state and a few tube amps. I'd recommend a clean tube amp, but that's just me, it sounded good with anything.
    But, Dynacord you said, eh? That would be sweet, believe me.
    Dyna301.

BassGreaser and Roxbororob like this.
  8. Roxbororob

Jun 8, 2015
    Montreal
    Update:
    Gluing the original Tolex back in place. One tear (or two/three) at a time.

IMG_0948.JPG

The Blue trim piece came clean.

IMG_0949.JPG

Got a Dynacord amp to go on top and make a vintage rig.

IMG_0947.JPG

Atshen likes this.
  9. That 301 deserves nothing less than a 370 head!

Great find, great story..ENJOY.

jazzbo58 likes this.