1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCD - Schroeder Mini 12+L 4 Ohm/500 Watts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Acoustic356, Dec 13, 2016.

1. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I had the opportunity to talk with Jorg Schroeder a few weeks ago and he was telling me about an update to their 12" lightweight cabinets... so I had to order one!

It showed up today, and I have to say I am impressed! I haven't been this impressed since I played my Bergantino HT322... seriously...

Specs...
    • 24 pounds
    • 15x15x17
    • 500 watts at 4 ohms (8 ohm option available)
    • Attenuated horn
    I threw bass I own and it responded well... It handled a low B, harmonics ring true, chords ring clear... can't wait to take it to my gig on Friday.

Pictures to follow this evening!

mg15 likes this.
  2. mg15

mg15 Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX, USA
    So how did it go? What size room was it? How did it handle the low frequencies?

I'm considering buying a small/lightweight 12 for my upright gigs and liturgical gig. This 212 I have is too much weight for the venues I do sometimes.

3. What are your post gig impressions?

4. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    I've taken it out a few times. The first gig was actually in a pretty echo filled warehouse for a private party. Marlon, our hard hitting drummer asked me to turn down... lol.

I was using an SWR Headlite 450 and was pushing it at about 80-85%. We had PA reinforcement, but the bass wasn't coming through the monitors. I could actually walk 20 feet across the stage and still hear the bass clearly... not bad for a 112.

We have 3 more gigs coming up in the next 20 day... It's coming with me on all 3.

mg15, Matt Morgan and Mrmatt1972 like this.
  5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @Acoustic356 would you mind giving any more updates for your Schroeder Mini 12+L cab? It seems it's been a time since you wrote this rreview.

Also, if you didn't mind, some pics???

Thanks!

6. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Sorry for the delay... work, life, gigging...

Okay, so I am posting this way so you can see how it lines up in size with the Boom Bass Cabinets Tank 1015 (BBC Tank 1015).

This Schroeder weighs in at about 28 pounds. 4 ohms at 500 watts RMS. I am running the Darkglass Microtubes 900 at 2 ohm so it's pretty much matched to the cab.

I have gigged with the cab a few times. As you can tell, I put an amp wedge under it to angle it a little more upwards so I can hear it better.

In a lot of the venues that I play, there are huge subs that muddy the overall bottom end, so I need to keep up in order to have some articulation.

I've pushed it pretty hard, and haven't taken it to a breaking point.

If I were playing a smaller venue I could probably get away without sound reinforcement, but definitely not with full band.

I have been successfully in dialing in some "thump" but for most of what I do, I need the midrange articulation... thus my choice of heads on this particular cabinet.

It gets deep, but not supper woofy primarily due to the size of the cab. But it's front ported and does a remarkable job for something this small.
    Schroeder 1.jpg Schroeder 2.jpg

alaskaleftybass likes this.
  7. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    @alaskaleftybass, I had a chance to play a 500 person venue today without sound reinforcement. There were no subs, so it was drums, keys, acoustic, electric, vocals and bass. The stage was hollow, more or less, so I got the benefit of resting on a large box. I wasn't really cranked up, and I could be heard clearly and articulately. It as nice and deep!

Having been in this environment, I think you would be good running 2 Mini12+Ls.

8. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thank you @Acoustic356 ! For some reason I've been drawn to the Schroeders for a long time. I've owned a couple other custom built brands but I keep circling these. Thanks again for the valuable input!

9. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    @Acoustic356 I ended up getting a good deal on a pair of Eden EX110s. They're light I suppose but not 24 pounds. I don't like that they're covered with carpet. But they do sound very nice. However, I have them up for sale on eBay and if they sell, I'll get at least one Mini 12+L. I like pairs especially when they're smaller but maybe that doesn't make a lot of sense in this instance because you've been obviously doing bigger venues than me and you're holding your own just fine.

Are you still pleased with your Schroeder? Although I don't own one, from what everyone says Jorg is a nice guy and I want to see him succeed. I can't wait to sell my cabs to order a pair of 12's. Thanks!

EDIT: Is that a Darkglass on your Schroeder cab, and how do you think this would sound on an amp stand?

10. Acoustic356

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    So... half of my configuration has changed since I posted this... I know longer have the GK MB Fusion 800 OR the Boom Bass Cabinet. The Darkglass is now sitting on top of a Bergantino HDN 212 and there is an Ashdown MiBass 500 on top of the Schroeder.

Although you can't really see it in the picture the Schroeder is on an Ampwedge to tilt it up. Right now, it is actually sitting on top of the Bergantino. I like it elevated, so I'm sure you will like it on an amp stand. Bringing it closer to ear level opens it up a bit in my opinion and helps with the overall projection.

11. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I'm pretty amazed with my Schroeder 15PL cab, to the
    point where I am selling my 12/6 cab. Definitely punches through the mix. Not a lot of heavy bottom like the 12/6 cab, but I've realized that I don't need that kind of tone in the present gig situation I am in. The little 12+l cab looks pretty impressive. I bet two of them would be all you needed for most gigs. Jorg has really branched out from those early, slant driver designs.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  12. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Thank you gentlemen. I'm kind of realizing that I might only need one cabinet, from the way you've described it's performance. I've got a pair of Eden speakers for sale and once those sell I'll pull the trigger on the Shroeder. When it gets Novemberish wife starts asking me what I want for Christmas. ;)
    I'm a fan of nice bottom end, thus the desire for two cabs. I've always wanted a fuller sound on stage and most of my gigs nowadays there's no FOH. So after getting one Shroeder if I don't feel it's full enough I'll go ahead and order a second immediately.

13. alaskaleftybass

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Waiting for more people to look at my Eden's on eBay.... tapping foot.... hurry up and sell so I can get my Schroeder! LOL

How are you Schroeder guys doing? Any new comments on your cabs, or anything? Thanks!

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021