1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NCD - Sweet 1969 Kustom

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Oren Hudson, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Here's a '69 Kustom 2x15 cab with the optional and original Altec Lansing 418 Type Dia-Cone 16 ohm speakers manufactured week 5 and week 10 of 1969. The charcoal T&R was mostly good with a few small places and one large that I fixed. The grill cloth had a nasty gash in it, so I dove in on the replacement of it. Replacing the grill cloth is quite the undertaking on these old Kustoms. First task is removing the 30 screws that hold the back panel on. Then the task of getting the goo off while not getting tar on everything. Kustom sealed all of their cabs with some sort of sealer that turns into a tar like goo over the years. Very messy. Then out come the speakers, followed by the insulation followed and three support beams. The middle beam is actually stapled on with a ton of staples. Next is the baffle board and its screws. It can only be removed by some contorting to hit the sweet spot to pull it out. The grill cloth is attached to this baffle board. It's double attached meaning that staples are side by side all around the board along with the tar goo acting like glue! Once the baffle board is out, the famous "marine" ports have to be removed followed by the Kustom Emblem. Then another fun job of removing a bucket of staples. Finally ready to do the cloth followed by making the exact cuts to re-install the ports. At this point, it's time to reverse the procedure. Not the easiest of designs to replace the grill cloth, but it's what you have to work with. BTW - also had the Altec's rebuilt while the other stuff was going on. I won't mention the missing and sheared off screws and missing wheel bearings that were in the mix. However, the cab now looks and sounds killer. Couldn't be happier. :)

Here you go.

IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1857.JPG IMG_1868.JPG IMG_1864.JPG IMG_1872.JPG IMG_1889.JPG IMG_1893.JPG IMG_1859.JPG IMG_1861.JPG IMG_1862.JPG IMG_1863.JPG IMG_1865.JPG

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Suhweet!
    Had two with CTS.
    We used to blow smoke into ports and watch it fly out.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  3. Linnin

Linnin SUSPENDED

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Surely a labor of love. Rock On :cool:

Oren Hudson likes this.
  4. :thumbsup:

Oren Hudson likes this.
  5. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Nice resto work; how does it sound?
    I have a cab with 421's which sound great to me; just need to be respectful with power.

Oren Hudson likes this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Nice work. Is there something you can do with the tears on the back so they don't get worse?

Oren Hudson likes this.
  7. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    Thanks. I have another Kustom cab with the 421's. Like you say, they sound great. I think the 418's give just a little more bottom to the sound, very similar to the JBL D140's do. No A/B comparison, just my memory. Both sound choice. I'm not sure what you power yours with, but I've found that, somewhat surprisingly, the higher output heads give more life to these than you might expect. :)

Thanks. I actually repaired that large separation, just didn't show a pic of it. I filled the gap with glue and then took gorilla tape and stretched and pulled the two separated sides back together. After the glue dried, I removed the tape and the gap was reduced to near nothing and was bonded to not separate. :)

buldog5151bass likes this.
  8. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thanks for this; I'm not at all familiar with the 418's.
    Ironically, my cab is at our rehearsal space and is powered by an SVP pre and Ampeg 1500 watt lead sled power amp.
    Plenty o' power too!

Oren Hudson likes this.