1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NCD: Univox 810

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christw, Mar 31, 2013.

1. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I picked this up yesterday because it was too cheap to pass up and sounded awesome with some Newell/Fender amp and a Mike Dirnt P plugged in. After an A/B at home it definitely has guitar speakers and is missing the fat low mid "punch" that my old Ampeg CTS loaded Marshall 410 has. The Univox has a really good Marshally bass tone though.

I'm thinking down the line I'll replace the speakers with some sort of high performance 10's, cross over one side to help with dispersion, and maybe run a single guitar speaker on top for some crunch.

Any ideas for what clean and efficient 10's to run assuming it's not too far off from a 'Peg in volume?

IMG_0499-1_zps907b4805.

2. jungleheat

jungleheat Banned

Jun 19, 2011
    DC
    There probably aren't too many of those cabs around, you say it sounds awesome, and yet you basically want to make it into a generic modern 8x10? Why? If you want that, go by that. Sell this to someone who wants it as is.

3. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    It sounds really cool but doesn't make a practical bass cabinet in volume to size ratio. Both cabs will fit in my car but the Univox gets beat for low end and equaled in volume by the Marshall. As it stands, I'd pick the Marshall every time for jams or going to shows. I just need a higher volume rig that'll fit in my car. My modded Kustom 118B requires two people and a truck to move. :ninja:

As far as making it generic and modern, I doubt that. I have a pretty good idea what I like and some experience in making it happen. (See my Kustom 118B and the SVT loaded Marshall halfway visible up top.) Then again, I'd still need a direction and cash to do that so I'm not hacking it apart just yet. :D

4. That's crazy looking, didn't know they existed. Do you know yet if it is chambered like an SVT cab, or do all those speakers share one cavity?

5. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I'm not sure if it's chambered yet. I'll pull a speaker and check chambering, year, and make later on today or next week.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I went to check my speaker codes earlier and found out that the entire baffle is once piece with rear mounted speakers. I only had a screwdriver so I didn't open it up but I'm thinking that it's going to be open inside.