1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NCD: upgraded acoustic

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by evilleotter, Oct 24, 2020.

1. evilleotter

evilleotter

Jun 8, 2018
    E'ville IN
    Short:
    Finished my combo-to-cab conversion today. Acoustic B100MK2 combo sealed enclosure: with upgraded Emminence Legend bp1525 speaker, speakon connector, and side feet. The speaker/box harmony sounds absolutely perfect to my ears, and it was a real cheap and easy diy project.
    Cheers TB!

Long:
    My first amp was an Acoustic B100MKII combo that I bought very lightly used from local GC. I've upgraded a few times since then, but I always thought I could repurpose that B100 someday. I recently acquired a Peavey Minimax 500 and decided that it would be ideal to have it pushing a 115 cab. I removed the Acoustic amp from the combo box and encased it in some plywood with a really crappy make-shift Tolex covering. I connected and installed a speakon connector at the back (really easy mod) so it could be used as a head. It turns out the the Peavey fits perfectly in the amp slot of the enclosure, with room for pedals and cables. WIN!

The original speaker was 150watts at 4 ohms, so I couldn't use it as an extension cab or a stand alone because it was so underpowered for 500 watts at 4 ohms. I did some research and the Eminence Legend BP1525 seemed like the perfect speaker for the sealed Acoutlstic enclosure. The speaker is rated at 350 watts at 8 ohms, and designed for a sealed 1.5 - 3.5 cu.ft. box. The interior of the Acoustic cab is about 2.7 cu.ft. so I thought it'd be right in its wheel house.

I received and installed the new speaker today and it sounds amazing! Punchy, crisp, and some serious heft at the low end without being muddy. Tried a few effects and they all sounded great also. Harmonics really sang out. It blends fairly well with the 410, but I'll probably really only be using the 115. With the MiniMax it's plenty loud, and the whole rig is light enough to get to and from very easily. The fact that everything fits in the upper compartment for a super clean look is such an added bonus. I might add some rollerblade wheels and a telescoping handle to the back for the true lazy man's transport experience.

So, for less than $250 I get a backup amp head and a one-of-a kind, great sounding, lightweight 115 cab!

Happy Halloween everyone

Attached Files:

2. I love the look of the first picture with the Peavey head and pedals in the amp slot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ENJOY!

evilleotter likes this.
  3. evilleotter

evilleotter

Jun 8, 2018
    E'ville IN
    thank S-bb.
    Based on my research, the speaker/cab pairing should be an ideal setup. But the speaker sounds muddy or distorted if the gain is less than 12:00 on the Minimax. Having only played combos for the past few years, this seems high to me.
    - Does raising the gain increase the amount of watts to the speaker? (sorry for my ignorance on this)
    - Is there any harm in keeping gain that high?
    - Was my choice in speaker correct?

Any insight would be appreciated.

4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    The gain comes before the power section of your amp (Master Volume). Increasing the gain to achieve cleaner sound is odd. Usually increases in gain introduces added harmonics or overdrive. I don't think anything is wrong with your amp, it's just the way the amp and speaker work together. There is nothing wrong with increasing the gain either. That's what it's for, but if it's set real high and you crank up the Master, you can do some damage. Don't make any sudden moves, let your ears guide you. If things get loud in a band situation and the gain is past half, be careful with the master and possibly turn down the bass knob if things get dirty.

5. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    If you are not overdriving the preamp, then turning up the gain will increase the volume (and the power delivered to the speaker).

6. evilleotter

evilleotter

Jun 8, 2018
    E'ville IN
    I can get a decent od sound when I turn the gain all the way up (with volume way down), but it seemed odd to me to get a cleaner sound with the gain at half way also. I've only played the rig in home, so a different room could alter my interpretation of the sound.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021