1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NDB: 1984-1987? Fender Jazz Special Fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mc900ftj, Apr 28, 2015.

1. mc900ftj

mc900ftj Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2014
    Found this stray and brought it home today. Best date I can get from the Exxxxxx serial number is that it is a Japanese 1984-1987. A previous owner put some EMG pups in it. Sounds nice. It's in great shape. Happy early birthday to me! :D

Japanese-Fender_zpsy9cuauuo.

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  2. Jazz Specials didnt come out tell 1985, in 1984 they were labeled "PJ Bass". Every 1985 Jazz Bass Special had a black back of the neck, so thats going to be a 1986 or newer one.

Cool bass and that case is period correct to it, pickups, knobs and bridge not original.

3. mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    I did see that it was the later years with the thinner jazz neck and no black on the rear of the neck. I figured the knobs and bridge were also non-original based on some images on the InterWebs. Thanks!

4. I have the same bass, just fretted and original parts.

005 - Copy.

5. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    20140913_144921.

The thinner neck was original, that's part of the 'special' combination with the P body.

Nice score. Those unlined necks look great with the black headstock... and with recent announcements that Fender Japan will stop building instruments, the value may climb a little.

I'm terrible without frets, so it's mostly just to round out my MIJ collection... congrats on yours.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    mc900ftj likes this.
  6. mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Marko, The bridge on yours looks like mine. Do you know if it is original?

7. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    It is original. I didn't think so at first, but they did become stock at some point, in latter production years.

8. mc900ftj

Jan 21, 2014
    Awesome, thanks for that data point! There's not a lot of information I could find on the Japanese Fenders.

9. Old Blastard

Old Blastard

Aug 18, 2013
    Virginia
    Have the same color fretless with the MIJ pickups and the original bridge. Bought it new in 1987. It's a great player.

mc900ftj likes this.
  10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    These are my favorite Fenders.

mc900ftj likes this.