1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NDB - Fender Cabronita P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SonnyBassPlayer, Oct 9, 2015.

1. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    Soooo, this is not my first NBD since being on TB but it's the first time I make a thread.

[Background story]
    Some may remember me or probably won't for my rants about getting a sunburst Cabronita Fender bass in Italy. As soon as I decided to pull the trigger I found out, in this order, that local shops didn't stock it, the national dealer didn't stock it even having it listed on sale, was no longer available in all Europe, and that found out it had actually been discontinued. After this I contacted some American shops but as usual none shipped worldwide.

After my latest rant, a link about GC and MF giving them away at reduced price made me swear so loudly my parents heard me in the house's lower floor, and I came to know my mother has a user profile at a internatinal shipping service in the USA, which is used to get goods outside of it when direct international shipping isn't available (hey, it's all legal).

You should be aware that the street price for the bass in Italy, even if not actually physically available, was 900€/1022$.
    With taxes and shipping I got it for 625€/710$. Will sound like a lot for you lucky butts but here a MIM P bass sits at 650€/738$, a Classic 50s is 950€/1079$, and a Road Worn is 1200€/1363$, off official distributors.

[End of story]

So I went nuts.

I buy the bass off Guitar Center (such a weird feeling), and after four days of emails it ships on monday, gets in Italy today, only five days. And it's better for what I payed!

I was told the bass had a "flaw" which was actually a bad hit that chipped the paint away, but it's in the back border and barely noticeable. I was sent a photo and I was also told this was the last Cabronita Guitar Center had. So yeah, probably the only one in Italy too! I couldn't pass, it was my last chance.
    Also I must notice the tone knob was a bit loose, it needed a bit of tightening from the front. Bad stocking? Travel hits? I will never know. The frets come a bit out of the fretboard line on mine: it is only noticeable when touching it, not while playing! But as I don't remember others citing the same issue I think the wood may have moved with temperature drops from vans to planes, or maybe it's just bad luck. Still, it's a fraction of millimeter.

Now, I didn't manage to play it too much with the amp, the serial says it's 2013/2014 made and the strings were quite dead and dull, but I still managed to get a taste of the fullness of the sound, and I went mad with overdrive.
    Again, praise the Barbershop (OT)

The neck feels quite chunky, but luckly not as much as I imagined reading reviews! It's my first maple fretboard bass and I am luckly enough there's little difference in the wood grain with the neck itself so it looks very clean, almost one piece for most of the length. Of course I had no minimal chance to try it so I took a huge risk; the slab body is beautifoul IMHO but it will take some time to get used to it, especially after seven years of a rounded MIM P body.

The bridge. It's now sitting is my replacements drawer; I couldn't look at it, so while changing strings I put on my old RI 70s classic bridge that sat on my MIM P bass for years; it looks way cleaner now IMHO and the pickup gets more eye attention. I may consider getting a threaded saddles for it, and for sure a D-Tuner at the next string change!

What else could I say? Few years ago I couldn't stand sunburst&maple basses and now it's my favourite combo. After losing hope for this bass I started searching for a Classic 50s P bass; I won't bump it everyday from now on. Well, for a bit... Untill GAS rings again.

I'll play it much more tomorrow morning with the new strings and take some better pictures and post more opinions.
    Till than, here's the last Cabronita sold from GC, sitting across the ocean.

Classic crappy phone pic to show it happened. Sorry for the mess.
    vJGfd4w.

2. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    How does it play/sound? Got any clips?

3. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    Congrats on the new bass. Heck of a story to go with it too! Play the heck out of that thing!

4. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    Well done, congrats! I also changed the bridge on my Cabronita, and for similar reasons. Enjoy the great tones she's capable of.

Now, clean your room. Ciao!

5. vdub75

vdub75

Feb 15, 2013
    Celle/Germany
    Want a white or cream scratchplate? I have one of both on sale in germany. The cream one it not drilled yet, only routed.

6. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    So, after two days and few hours of playing I'm loving it.

The neck is chunky but not huge, and I'm finding it very comfortable! Very different from both my Mexi Ps, neither the lack of countour is bugging me, it's even more comfortable when sitting as the flat bottom stays still on my leg.

I'm tweaking here and there the string height and pickup height, I want this to be a rock bass and by now I'm getting a good tone even just in flat! For some more bite I drop a bit of mids, but I'm sure that in a band setting rebumping them will make it cut throught the mix like a knife on butter. I'm also leaving some sring buzz that coupled with the Barbershop gives a badass dirty tone IMHO. The pickup need to be further from the E string to give a balanced output. The classic bent bridge hasn't affected the sustain at all, it's a really lod bass unplugged!

Next week I'll make a quick video to showcase the sound, but only having a camera it will only be good to get an idea of it.

Here's some pictures
    Knot on the back, shows the body is two-piece
    uvtVdL7.

Someone totally dropped it to make this "finish flaw"
    h5hnXqh.

Something on the nut?
    TSDjTem.

Very hard to see, but the frets come slightly out of the fretboard line; unnoticeable when playing, luckly.
    LTbjX8D.

The front's wood is very nice and clean looking
    wmB8a9k.

I have a thing for retro looks.
    nUE3vZB.

And classic TB's car pic!
    (Mine is big bottomed)
    ddEhsZk.

Mr_Martin, christle and BassmanM like this.