NDD (New Doom Day)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SamanthaCay, Jul 7, 2019.

1. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    Being back in a big loud rock band for the past 4/5 months I've found it more demanding on my amp setup, finally after messing with several different setups I decided I needed to just go a little nuts and get the head room I need.

So first came a 87 Mesa Boogie 400.

I owned a 400+ when I was a kid and ended up selling it to pay the bills and since have always really wanted another, only finding out about the 400 and d-180 years later and to come to appreciate the finer points of the different heads.
    The d-180 is still something I'd really like to check out as I've never seen one in person and it's my understanding that it's a little different in tone and construction from the 400's, but being as I have had the chance to play with a couple 400's over the years I was confident this was what I wanted. Still way more headroom than I'd ever need, a nice bit of break up with the gain cranked, and cheaper maintenance using only six 6l6's. And yeah I know about running these with kt88's or 6550's and while I may try it in the future I'm really digging this thing with a set of JJ 6l6gc's biased cool at about 60% PD, this thing is blissful.

Now the cabinet, this thing is new to me, just bought today and while I had initially had my eyes on a period road ready 410 or something Mesa made of the like this one just popped up today at an offer I couldn't refuse.

It's a custom one off Atlas 215/212. I'll have to pop the back soon and verify but I was told it's loaded with Eminence Delta's and I was fortunate to get to give it a good test before purchase. I could max this 400 out into this thing and still not strain it and i felt like I was gonna break the girl's house I bought it from lol. Of course band practice and a few gigs with this thing will tell the full story but right now I'm thinking I got a winner.

Anyways I couldn't be more happy with this monster rig and I just wanted to brag a little, cheers.
    66489927_10157396315235682_6170841283829956608_n.jpg

bhendrix, johnpbass, Goatrope and 3 others like this.
  2. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I just fell out of my chair.

SamanthaCay likes this.
  3. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Like bass guitar OMG!

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    So what you're saying is you can hear all the way over at your house? dang that's loud!

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The cab looks like real tank. Per the Atlas Tone website the cab is made with 3/4" baltic birch. Super light weight I am sure ;).

I think the 400 will make about 180-200W clean with 6l6 tubes. That's a nice amount of power if you like to push the output tubes:thumbsup:. You get a bit more power with 6550s; perhaps 230W. Probably not enough to significantly increase volume, but you may not like the distortion as well.

You're ready rock:cool:

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021