NE1 know where to find a nice early 70's V4B? Also, using a V4 for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PB Blaster, Apr 3, 2014.

1. PB Blaster

PB Blaster

Sep 17, 2012
    Searching locally and on the www for a nice early 70's Ampeg V4B (or V4?) and not having any luck finding one, if only I'd been looking a week ago... before I needed one ;-) Maybe your local music store/pawn shop has one, if you could pass this on to me at; [email protected]

Anyway, I was thinking I would pair this up (if I can find a nice one) with an early SVT cab I scored by pure accident. Should really give my bass playing a boost from the SUNN Sorado w/ 2x15 cab I've been playing through. This is for a rehearsal space set-up, wont be getting moved about, cept maybe around the room.

Other question is what about using a V4 head instead, is it less bassy? is it absolutely necessary to use a V4B, and if using a V4, is reverb actually usable on bass?* I'd prefer the head with the most bass in this application of course, but if I was to use a V4 head, it could double duty as a guitar head, which would be really nice actually.

*Odd thing is, on several bass clips I've listened to on Youtube lately, I can hear a little reverb, studio reverb I suppose but it doesn't sound half bad.

Looking for a little help from the bass community at large ;-)

As an added bonus, here's a pic of the SVT cab, virginal never out of the cab speakers, carefully pulled one to find a 39th week of 1973 CTS date code.

orig.jpg

PS this is not a "want to buy post", per say, just looking for a little help to find one.

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

The V4 and VT-22 are virtually the schematic as the V4-B with added reverb. If you find a V4 or V-22 combo go for it.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Yep.

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
  5. PB Blaster

PB Blaster

Sep 17, 2012
    It's got to be the real made in USA vintage deal ;-) The combo idea is a bit tempting also, dang it! (need one of each?)

6. B-string

The combo was the open back guitar combo. The head unit is the V4 with two 12" guitar speakers. I mentioned it because the V-22 is often the "sleeper" buy when you want the V4 family amp.

7. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    My pointer above was to two 70's amps.

8. B-string

Beans is not leading you astray, check the pics. Both of those are US built by Magnavox, not MTI.

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I was thinking the same way until I got my V4-B reissue and it is absolutely incredible it will definitely change your opinion about non USA vintage.

10. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I have a VT-22 that i rehoused as a head. It's currently in the shop but that's beside the point...

The reverb is very usable on bass IMO. I like to use just a little bit all of the time but you can certainly get a present in the mix reverb if that's your thing. I think it's sound amazing for some tic-tac bass.

11. The new ones sound just as good and don't weigh as much as the vintage.

12. B-string

I have the impression the OP has a look they want also or the two "later" '70's linked would have been of interest.

13. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    Gruhn Guitars has one listed on their website.

http://www.gruhn.com/

It was once owned by Mark O'Conner as if that would make any difference.

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    It does if you're a huge Mark O'Connor fan.

15. PB Blaster

PB Blaster

Sep 17, 2012
    The one in Dayton is kinda crazy priced, I see where nice ones sold for under $600 on CL here and there. The VT22 looks a newer amp than what I'm looking for, looks like it's got master volume which is a deal breaker for me. As far as vintage vs non... I don't mix the two.

16. PB Blaster

PB Blaster

Sep 17, 2012
    Hey thx for the tip, that might just be a workable thing for me there ;-)

I wonder what the tape legends mean, besides showing where to set the knobs, L R L Left Right Left, any ideas?

17. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods!

I see them pop up every couple of months here in LA. I will keep an eye out.

BTW......I have one myself.

18. That one at Gruhn Guitars has been on there for several years, I'm pretty sure.

19. Shovelbone

Shovelbone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Yonderville Georgia
    I was wondering about that very thing myself. I cannot think of anything other than where to set the knobs? That is a head scratcher!

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021