Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neal and Jack and Me: New King Crimson DVD.

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Sep 11, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    They finally released the 80's live videos of KC on DVD. Woot. I just scooped it up today, and so far is pretty cool, in a horrible 80's sort of way. Tony is featured alot, and there's lots of closeups of him playing. He plays Stick, a cool yellow Stingray with the Three of a Perfect Pair logo on it, and a Moog synth - sometimes all three at once! The playing is solid from all the guys, and they are much more animated in their younger days as compared to some of the more recent DVDs they've released; Fripp sometimes comes close to jumping out of his chair in a few spots!

The downside is that it's painfully 80's. The screen effects are laughable, and the getups these guys are wearing are just atrocious (what are those shoes you are wearing, Tony?!). There's even a music video (!) of Sleepless, which certainly makes me glad that KC haven't done any other videos for other songs. It looks like prog-rock Flock of Seagulls! Heh.

If you're a die hard Crimso, this is a good DVD to have. If you have a hard time with skinny ties, you might want to pass. :ninja:

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    They STILL wear some atrocious clothing. When I saw them during the Thrak tour trey was wearing some kind of dark ages puffy shirt and Bill and Ade were both wearing these so-bright-they-hurt-your-eyes jackets.

brad cook

3. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, that yellow suit Bru wore on the THRAAK tour caused retinal damage. Luckily, the sound they produced enhanced my immune system and whitened my teeth. Plus, I can now walk through solid objects.

Mr. Benji - that yellow Stringray is still in TL's stable, and apparently devoted to the Crim Kause! He had pics of it recently on the DGM web diary. I was flabbergasted. :eek:

That man just eats my lunch everytime I see footage of him. Seeing him with his band a few years back was such a bloody disappointment though.... Gouda, anyone? Perhaps some nice Jarlsberg with your Larry Fast? Ugh. I'm not 55 yet, thanks -- I'll leave the AARP rock to them. :scowl:

This video sounds like it is perhaps not right up my alley (being a hardcore '73 lineup fan), but close enough to be a convenient parking spot.

Word up to you for posting about it, as I had no clue this was even on the horizon. BTW - love your quote. Clearly, he was speaking the truth; it wasn't at all their priority.

4. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Well, it is somewhat disappointing that the sartorial failings of the band (never worse than Ade's white t-shirt on the first PTB tour) should have gotten first mention.

The musical diversity of the band, and of Tony's contribution especially, should rise to the top, however. I am not sure I would list TLev as "best bassist ever," but then I start thinking. His fretless on the first couple of Gabriel solo albums, especially that out-of-control energy on "On the Air" just has never been bested in the rock world. And, he was a kind of silent partner, in a way, to Fripp and Adrian's baroque/minimalist interplay in the 80s KC. He did the job he had to do, and I don't think anyone else could have produced the band sound that band required. Anyone who thinks that KC is "Fripp's band" needs to think twice. It took every one of them to do what that band did. Total team effort, and Tony was essential. He is, in his own words, a "rhythm player" in my words, without peer.

His "Waters of Eden" period is another matter, and Larry Fast another kind of partner, but this only highlights the breadth of his work.

My 2c.

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That's right, I've been meaning to pick this up. I've never seen the Frejus footage, but there's some really good stuff on the TOAPP tape I have. The "Fripp almost falls out of his chair" solo moments are pretty exciting. He's made a comment that it had more to do with jet lag than anything else, I think. He still burns it up these days, it just doesn't look so animated. ;)

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ain't that the truth. If you watch a video from the Thrak tour or later he's just sitting there straight as a rod with a completely expressionless face while his hand is a blur of movement.

brad cook

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I wouldn't say expressionless - but then it's not "metal face" either. :D

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, it seems more of a listening-to-a-lecture face.

Actually it looks a little like this face---> :bassist: Except without the head movement.

brad cook

9. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I finished watching it - I learned to appreciate what's going on in a whole new way. I had no idea that Tony was playing some of those high parts on Beat, and who played what solos on The Sheltering Sky (my fav KC song by far).

Their clothing is much better on the second concert than the first.

10. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    7b5 - I think TLev's contributions to Gabriel's work are very broad, and I think subtly shape it in an indispensible way. Both his fretless and stick work on those records are standard-setting bass parts. Not to mention Funk Fingers!
    I see your point about the breadth of his work, but one man's treasure is another man's $24 ticket money wasted. No less respect for him though. Just a matter of taste(s).

And I think he has a great aggressive approach that really suits the Crim vibe and, as you mentioned, brought a lot to the table in that incarnation of the band.
    Moreso, I daresay, than TGunn, whom I also like but consider less dynamic a force w/in the band. Again, it's the breadth of TLev's skills that sets him apart. Maybe not "best bassist ever", but certainly way up there and a great musician overall, bass notwithstanding.

Fripp and animated in the same sentence? Only when he's berating an audience for taking pics! :)
    I personally don't think RF's neck works. I've never seen his head move..... :ninja:

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Oh man I love the parts on Heavy ConstruKction where he calls for the house lights and then says over and over "Would the gentlemen who took the flash photo please pass me the camera."

Some people get annoyed by Fripp's out-of-the-ordinary actions but personally they crack me up.

brad cook

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    On another but related note, does anyone have the BPM&M XtraKcts & ArtifaKcts CD that Tony sells through his website? It's a bunch of music with an electronic bent that's put together by Mastellotto and some other Crim related people. I think he took a bunch of sound footage of Crim playing together, Fripp talking and even some David Byrne and pieced it into musical creations. There used to be some samples at www.papabear.com but I think they're gone now. I really dug the samples and that CD is on my list of things to buy when I have money. Anyone have it or hear the whole thing?

brad cook

13. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I had to pick this up too, though have not had a chance to see it yet. Their early 80's stuff was awesome.

14. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA

I have it. It's great. It's like Aphex Twin, but BIG.