1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Near perfect instrumental albums/CD's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Barkless Dog, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    I just downloaded Tony Williams Lifetime LP "Believe It"

Has to be one of the best Instrumental LP's ever. I really miss Tony's playing. I saw the tour for "Believe It" as well. Talk about an amazing show!
    Alan Holdsworth at his peak, in my opinion.

Other ones I would say the same for are King Crimson's Red, Billy Cobham's Spectrum, Jeff Beck Blow by Blow & Wired & Return To Forever's Romantic Warrior.

Anyone have any more current recomendations?

It's hard to find many of any genre of music today with every song being near brilliant

2. This isn't real recent, not to mention it's out of print (or was, last I heard) but I've always been partial to Michael Manring's Drastic Measures. Never a dull moment on that CD.

3. I sure do agree with all the above, although it's hard for me to listen to the old fusion stuff at this point. However, back in the day, I lived with those albums.

Lee Ritenour's 'Festival' somes to mind. There are a few 'Brazilian' vocals, but it's some of Marcus Miller's finest playing... great tunes and grooves.

Back Street by David Sanborn and 'Rainbow Seeker' by Joe Sample are also classics of the smoother jazz side of things before the smooth jazz thing descended into smarminess:D

For harder edge stuff that fits more with your current faves, the John Mclaughlin live disc with Trilok and Kai is about as good as it gets.

Finally, Heavy Weather.... !

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    John McLaughlin's "Industrial Zen" is just incredible! Very fresh, though the last track features some rather sparse vocals, I think you'd really like it!

As for other amazing instrumental records, man, I could go on all day! Ars Moriende (no real "singing"), Elegant Punk, Temporal Analogues of Paradise, Personae and Abstract Logic by Jonas Hellborg are all awesome too!

5. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    +1,000,000! That Tony Williams album is STILL a huge favorite of mine to this day, great grooves, Holdsworth just tearing it up and doing things with guitar that were before then unheard of.

6. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    The First Back Door album is a stunner for sure, even over 3 decades later, just bass, drums and sax, it was groundbreaking, good 'ol Colin Hiodgkinson! It was like Ornette Coleman, Funk and Delta Blues havin' a party!

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    That Back Door album along with most of the albums listed blew my mind way back when. One of my faves: Weather Report 'Mysterious Traveler'......good times, good times.;)

8. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Digital Duke

9. Gordian Knot's "Emergent". Lots of guests on it and I just love the compositions. And of course Heavy Weather is what turned me onto jazz.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Alan Holdsworth-Road Games.
    Weather Report-Heavy Weather.
    The Dregs-Night of the living Dregs.
    Mahavishnu Orchestra-Inner Mounting Flame.
    Miles David-Kind Of Blue.

11. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    No newer modern stuff?

I forgot- Happy The Man

12. how about Extraction by Grew Howe, Victor Wooten, and Dennis Chambers?

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Thats one I'm going to need to pick up!

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Red? Fallen Angel and One More Red Nightmare should eliminate it from an "instrumental albums" list as they both have vocals.

15. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I still love "The Right of Strings"

16. Barkless Dog

Jan 19, 2007
    I agree, taken off. No singing kinds of pigeon holes Jazz/Fusion & electronic music

17. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Not real current (1999, 2000) but Jeff Becks' "Who Else?" and "You Had it Coming" (some vocals there) are pretty cool.

18. how bout the Rite of Spring?

19. sarcastro83

sarcastro83

Jul 27, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Savvy Show Stoppers - Shadowy Men on a Shadowy Planet
    and I really like Godspeed You Black Emperor!'s stuff...

20. dannoman

dannoman Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    CosmoSquad and also Liquid Tension Experiment