1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Nearly flawless USA Lakland Precision / P-bass - Glaub/44-64 - sunburst/rosewood/tort! Sound sample!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by TimBosby, Feb 14, 2020 at 11:22 AM.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Price:
    Strings:
    Well here we have it - a bass player staple and a Talkbass favorite. A beautiful alder bodied, rosewood fingerboardin', tort-guard-wearin', flatwound-sportin' USA Lakland P. The Chuck Norris of basses (I have no idea where that joke came from but I remember seeing it on here once and laughing.) I received this in a trade and it is simply beautiful. It will make a sunburst hater love sunburst. I will make a maple addict turn to rosewood. It's nearly flawless. Why am I selling? Because I received it in a trade... and my Drake Super P/J covers all my P needs, both active and passive. So as much as I'd love to have a USA Lakland in my arsenal, I can't afford to keep this baby.

It's alder.
    It's maple w/ rosewood.
    It's tort.
    But most importantly:
    LOOK AT THOSE FREAKIN' BEAUTIFUL BIRDSEYE MAPLE DOTS.

Nut width 1.75"
    8.4 pounds (you gotta love alder) and feels perfect. It came to me wearing LaBella flats and I see no reason to change that because, in my opinion, the setup is perfect.

I do not know what year it is, or what the pickup is. I believe everything is stock Lakland. Comes in a Lakland tweed case that inexplicably has writing on both sides (see the pictures.) I don't know what it says, and it doesn't bother me.

Pictures and rough sound sample below (this was hurried and run through a small, cheap Acoustic combo, my playing is sloppy, and my furnace is running in the background. Still - sounds like a P-bass!)

Get it for $1875 shipped in the lower 48 USA states. If you're elsewhere, PM me and we'll work something out.

Trades? Ah yes, always the question. I got this IN a trade so I'd prefer to not embark upon another trade BUT... try me. I absolutely cannot add cash. If we trade, I'd need to be on the receiving end of at least $600.

Trade ideas I fancy: things with frets and 4 strings. I love a good 7.25" fingerboard radius. A G&L El Toro or the right L2000 will get top consideration, MAYBE some sort of EBMM bass with HH configuration - but I'll be picky, old USA Peaveys, MIJ basses, oddball basses, etc. Try me. I'm particular, but the worst I can say is a polite no thanks! :)

Things I don't want: 1.5" necks or any skinny necks, basses with more than 4 strings, P-basses (otherwise I'd just keep this one), fretless basses (I have one on the way), anything lower than 34" in scale length, anything too terribly heavy.

Sound sample here:
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/EM8hS6wBKfRbPfES8

Pics here:

glaub2.jpg
    glaub1.jpg glaub12.jpg glaub11.jpg glaub10.jpg glaub9.jpg glaub8.jpg glaub7.jpg glaub6.jpg glaub5.jpg glaub4.jpg glaub3.jpg glaub2.jpg glaub14.jpg glaub13.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 9:46 PM
  2. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Gorgeous!

glwts

Hopter, mcclurer16 and TimBosby like this.
  3. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it Supporting Member

nice

mcclurer16 and TimBosby like this.
  4. Rob L

Rob L Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Chilly ND
    Beautiful! 1 3/4” nut width?

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yes, sorry I forgot that vital detail.

mcclurer16, jebmd and Rob L like this.
  6. Tommy Szell

Tommy Szell

Jun 24, 2017
    Serial number to verify the date?

7. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sorry, I can't find one anywhere.
    It just says made in USA on the back of the headstock. I looked all over for a serial and can't find one. Any clue where it would be?

8. Tommy Szell

Tommy Szell

Jun 24, 2017
    I think it may be embossed on the top of the headstock.

TimBosby likes this.
  9. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    Fantastic! Serial number should be on the side of the headstock, impressed into the wood, no ink, along the tuner stems.

10. Top of the headstock usually.

It's a beaut, Clark!

11. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Found it there!

BG648

Tom P, punchdrunk and jebmd like this.
  12. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    That serial number is "off the chart". I don't know of serial number data kept after 2009. Having said that, I would guess 2012-13, based on an average of 50 BG's produced per year between 2001 and 2009. Just a guess on my part.

mcclurer16, Fred312b and TimBosby like this.
  13. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Yeah I really don't know much about Lakland serial numbers. I do know that this bass is awesome! This is the third US Lakland I have owned and by far the most perfect one.

mcclurer16 and jebmd like this.
  14. drums1977

drums1977

Mar 31, 2008
    Malaga
    These basses are insane, ive had got a few and still keep one. They do everything a good fender precision bass can do, just quite a lot better.

mcclurer16, jebmd and TimBosby like this.
  15. muggsy

muggsy

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Very nice! If it helps with the SN, I have BG199 and it's a 2005. To echo what the others have said, these are awesome basses.

16. mcclurer16

mcclurer16 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Hi just PM’d you !

TimBosby likes this.
  17. mcclurer16

mcclurer16 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Just PMd you about a G&L

TimBosby likes this.
  18. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm in Minneapolis right now, back Sunday evening. Then heading out to Milwaukee and Chicago Monday morning until Thursday evening. So realistically I won't be able to ship until next Thursday (the 20th) or Friday (the 21st.)
    I will be checking messages though, so keep the offers coming!

19. mtc918

mtc918 Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2013
    Buffalo, NY
    PM’d

TimBosby likes this.
  20. 59jazz

59jazz Infinite Rider on the Big Dogma Supporting Member

PM sent.

TimBosby likes this.