Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neat thing I found out...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MasterChief, Dec 16, 2003.

1. MasterChief

MasterChief

Feb 4, 2003
    Virginia
    I've been playing away on my bass. I'm having a lot of fun. I was playing a song and was tapping my foot. I couldn't get the timing right for the tapping so then I messed up the bass part and the song just fell apart. I then just played the song and tapped my foot. I payed attention to the song. I heard my foot at the right time I wanted. So I guess if you just focus on one thing, the other thing comes by naturally? Just wanted to help anyone out if they have been having the same problem.

Just relax and feel the music...

2. When you learn to play latin music, it's recommended you learn to tap clave with your foot while playing. Now THAT'S scary. Took me ages to figure that one out.

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    What is the definition of clave, Marty? Still a lot of terminology that I don't understand.

Tnx, Harrell S.

4. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    We old guys call it the Bo Diddley beat.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    From my understanding, clave translates as "key." A clave is just a rhythmic pattern (generally two measures) that everything is kind of based around. There are many different kinds. The most common (i believe) is the 3-2 clave based on the baion (sp?) rhythm.

1&2&3&4&1&2&3&4&

I've always been instructed to tap quarter notes (and i find it a lot more useful, personally), and when i was starting out I had the tendency to tap the clave.

6. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    omg thats kind of tricky, alone

7. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    only problem i have is im tempted to start tapping on the upbeat.

8. This thread reminds my of a life-changing Religious Experience:

One time at the local sympathy (in the seats listening), I had my elbow on my knee and my hand supporting my head.

Mid way through some section, I notice / felt my pulse carotid (sp) neck vein. My heart was beating not only in time with the music - but on the beat. On The Beat, brothers.

Changed me.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I'm sure your epiphany would have come if there was NO pulse as well ... ;)

*taps WIPEOUT on the desk,
    bridges into WHO DO YOU LOVE*