Necessary Pre-amp? New thread

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Double Daddy, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Thanks to all who responded to my other thread "Is a Pre-Amp REALLY Necessary?" Based on those discussions, I bought a Fishman Bass Pro preamp and tried it with my under-foot mounted Fishman BP-100.

But, as I explained before, the preamp did me no good in a loud quintet gig, where I unplugged it and just went direct into my Behringer mixer.

Luckily, I have a decent day job and could afford yet another attempt at finding the holy grail of DB amplification. I went to Bob Gollihur's site and purchased a Bass Master Pro (which includes the K&K Bass Max underwing, Double Big Twin 4-element, and blender preamp).

I received the kit from Gollihur last Monday, was out of town on business travel thru Thursday, and installed it before work on Friday morning. Then, without time to "shakedown", I played it at my restaurant gig on Friday night (duo UB and keyboard). Both I and my piano player were quite pleased with the sound. I especially appreciated the blender, which I clipped on to my bow quiver. It was handy for turning down the high-bias Double Big Twin to emphasize the Bass Max for arco.

I hope it is very feedback resistant when I need to crank up during the quintet gigs.

Here's a question for y'all, though. Do you think there would be any advantage to me going from the K&K blender preamp into the Fishman Bass Pro preamp? If not, is there anyone out there who wants to buy a barely used Fishman preamp?

- Double Daddy
  2. Dont go into the fishman. No advantages at all, unless you plan on trying to overdirve your amplifier.
  3. Thanks for the reply, Rimas. I have a quintet gig this weekend and will see how the K&K holds up at high volumes. Will report back.
  4. As promised, here's my follow-up report on the K&K Bass Master Pro at a loud jazz quintet gig that I just did tonight.

The rig worked out GREAT. The other players, and folks listening in the crowd, commented to me that it sounded so much better than before (I was using a Fishman BP-100 under the bridge feet). The K&K cranked out loud volumes with no feedback.

I especially like being able to adjust the mix between the 4 under-string transd;ucers and the wing transducer. I crank down the string ones for arco, and up a bit to get the pizz "bite".

For ease of adjustment on the fly, I have been clipping the preamp on to the bow quiver. Makes it handy to reach.

Anyway, thanks to this forum, I was turned on to Bob Gollihur's site for the K7K setup. On the other hand, reading other threads I'm wondering if I should have invested in the Schertler....