1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

necessaryclothing ad

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by placedesjardins, Jun 1, 2012.

1. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Well, this site is supported by advertisers where their banner gets put through a rotation. I understand it's a way to bring in money for the website. To cut to the chase, I don't like the necessaryclothing.com banner ad because the model looks like, basically, a skanky ho. And so, that makes it look like I'm on a skanky website.

Anyway, just a rant.

2. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    TBOT is as skanky as it gets, my friend.

3. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    LOL.

4. You realize that these ads are based on google ad words, which go by your search history / cookies / etc to determine what is advertised to you, right?

5. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Ha ha.
    This site has a list of advertisers who pay to be on the rotation. There's the same advertisers so there like around 10 to 15 different banners I've seen. I've yet to seen any banners on Hello Kitty products... I mean... uh... I meant to say Verizon cell phone products.

6. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Can you post a screen shot so we can judge the skankiness factor for ourselves?

7. Dude... No. They allow google to use their website for ad space. Seriously. I've never seen a necessary clothing ad. I work in marketing and advertising, and do a LOT of online work.

if the ad has a blue flag in the top right hand corner, like [del]all of[/del] almost all of them do, it's google.

:edit: some of their own advertisers are on here (best bass gear, aguilar, musicicans friend, etc), too, but I'm fairly certain that a women's clothing store isn't dumb enough to buy ads on a bass forum.

8. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    It's this Asian female with a mini skirt. Kind of embarrassing as I go here time to time during work.

9. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Last time I remember people getting worked up over banner ads it was for a chubby gay dating service. You don't have to click on the banners, you know.

10. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Ah, I see the "Ad by Google" tag and the blue flag on the banner.
    Hmm, I didn't know that. Other sites I've been to control what banners are shown since they are paying advertisers.

11. It depends on how the site works. for example, pitch.com, the website I sell onto, sells specific banner ads to clients, but also sells REM space to goolge so they can use the space. it helps fill the gaps between what is sold and what is out there, and is an easy and convenient revenue stream for websites, especially ones with this much traffic.

12. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    [cough] Ad Block [cough]

13. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Ha ha... ha.

This is the ad banner I'm talking about.
    7162463475007408518.jpg

14. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

Jul 7, 2009
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    I see that one a lot too.^

Mine are trying to sell me junk pumps and pria-pills.

j/k

or am I?

15. Lets hope you never see an american apparel ad.

Also, it's probably based off of your whole networks cookie database, etc, not just your machine, which explains why it would be there.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Seems pleasant enough to me. Better eye candy than Flea's big ol' mug.

17. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Inactive

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    In before the motherluvin' lock!

18. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Who wants to wager Lucas is drunk?

19. MIJ-VI