1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Necessity and choosing at Micro Pog or Pog2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xtaftx, May 1, 2010.

1. xtaftx

xtaftx

Mar 1, 2010
    So, in my band there are a fair amount of guitar solos, and usually I kick on some distortion (rooskie Big Muff with tone set at 12 and sustain cranked all the way). I was thinking, since we want a bigger sound, if I should add an octave pedal for an octave below and above. I love EHX so far, and I was looking at the Micro Pog and Pog 2. Noticing they have different price tags, is there any sound quality difference on bass with the -1 and +1 octaves? Also, are the extra features on the pog 2 worth the money? With bass, I'm not too concerned currently about the -2 and +2 on bass. I also play a 12 string guitar, so I wouldn't mind getting more mindblowing sounds with all those octaves.
    If it makes a difference, my set up is a Fender Jaguar through the big muff previously mentioned, and into an Orange Terror bass into a Trace Elliot 4x12. Thanks

2. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I don't own either one, but have been following a recent thread titled "Can the Micro Pog Do Organ Sounds?", or something like that.

Brief summary: Micro POG can get "organ'y". POG 2 can do way more, and is worth the money if you need/want/can benefit from the extra features. One big plus with the POG is the eight (?) programmable presets.

There are also less expensive analog octave pedals out there (POGs are digital). Most do only an ocatave below, but there are some fuzz-octave up units. I don't know if any analogs do both.

I'm kind of in a similar predicament, trying to decide whether to find a pedal that "does it all" (I know there is no such thing) or buy lots of different pedals which will invariably overlap.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the Micro POG with a fuzz will give you a wall of sound, if that's all you're looking for. I don't know about the sound quality, but I hear it is good.

3. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Foxrox Octron and Octron2: analog, both directions :)

I was in the same predicament, about getting superpedals or dealing with overlap.
    With a mini, the only real overlap I have is the gain cranked on the SFT is almost fuzzy, which is what I keep the Supercollider for. But the touch-sensitivity of the SFT is almost like having two flavors of SC, so like 4 dirts in two pedals :D

4. Woah dude! Your set up sounds awesome, first off.

I had a Micro Pog, and my room mate has a POG2... so i've played both.

Honestly, you'd be fine with a Micro Pog. A POG2 is GREAT, dont get me wrong, but there's so much to it... my advice would be, get a used Micro POG and get use to the 'pog tone' and the crazy sounds it can make. If you want more, you'd be able to sell it with little-to-no-loss and then upgrade to the POG2, which can do even more crazy sounds.

Also... just in my experience: I'm a very... active... live bassist. I thrash around a lot. So, pedal durability is a big factor for me. I felt like the Micro Pog was a little more sturdy.