1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

neck and actions changes...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bluevoodoo, Mar 8, 2008.

1. bluevoodoo

bluevoodoo

Dec 15, 2007
    minneapolis
    I have been playing for like 8 years now and been doing my own setups since I began playing bass. I have a feeler gauge and set everything according somewhere between fender's reccommended settings and to what I feel. I have a fender MIM Jazz bass. It seems like as soon as I get it set up the perfect way I like it, if I take it somewhere else or leave it in a different room it was in the neck relief changes. The change is somewhat slight, but it drives me nuts when I get to a gig and I don't have the setup I had at home. Would it be a normal thing slash good idea to set up my bass at the gig some time before the show? I dont know how many people do this but maybe a new neck would help im not sure. What does TB think... Low quality neck? Set up right before all gigs? It seems to be a fixable issue but, I was just wondering if this is a normal thing to deal with or if ending up with a higher quality bass make setting up the bass less in different places.

2. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Normally that is caused by humidity and temperature changes. The best way to fix that would be to keep it in a hard shell case with a humidifier to maintain a constant humidity. I can't say though, that I have ever had that much adjustment on any of my basses.