Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck and Truss Rod uestion

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dumfish, Jan 1, 2003.

1. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I have two two-way truss rods to fit into a neck that I'm making. Now I already know that the channel doesn't have to be curved. The truss rods will be adjustable from the body end of the neck. So I need to calculate the neck height above the body so the adjustment part won't be showing above the surface of the body. But how deep should the channel be routed?

Edit: How far apart should my two channels be?

2. Ideally, you should only route the channel to the height of the truss rod. You could route it deeper and install a fillet over it, between the rod and the fretboard, but IMO, that is pointless work. You would also have to take care that the channel isn't so deep that the wood on the back of the neck get too weak, so when the truss rod is put under tension, it busts through the back of the neck.

The width you can separate the rods depends somewhat on the profile of your neck. The wider the neck, the wider you should be able to separate the truss rods. I assume that this is a 6+ string bass? On my 7, I installed then with a centre to centre spacing of 1". The neck was over 2" at the nut, and nearly 4" at the 28th fret.

Geoff