Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck back bowed?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I have a replacement neck that I have had off of a bass for a month or so now and I looked to see if it was straight the other day and it seems it has a very slight back bow to it. Is this just because it's not on a body with strings and has no tension or is the neck screwed?

2. you won't know until you put tension on it...but, I'll tell you this much...I wouldn't leave it this way (there may still be a little tension the trussrod, in which case, you either detention the truss rod or put string tension on it.

since the neck isn't on a bass at the moment, loosen the truss rod.

if it is still back bowed after completely detensioning, then I'd suggest laying it face-up across a pair of supports and then hanging a weight on it (like a paint can from a guitar strap) until you have it strait, and leave it this way for a while (a few days or so, until the back bow is gone).

reason being, the last thing you want to happen is for it to get worse.

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I already loosened the truss rod, that's when I noticed the slight back bow. It's not bad at all, but it's not straight.

4. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    I wouldn't worry about this one bit. When you install the neck and bring it up to tune, you'll likely find the relief to be just about right.

Pilbara... does the paint can trick really work? I removed a backbow from a guitar neck once, using a heat lamp, wood clamps and a fulcrum. I recall it took a few days to remove the bow, and a) I was applying far more pressure than a paint can would supply; b) the neck was a guitar neck vs a bass neck and c) the movement was assisted by the heat lamp. Mind you, the backbow was quite severe on the guitar neck, whereas Junior says his backbow is very slight.

Are there any other tricks for removing a backbow?