Neck bending in shipping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lady Jayde, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    The other week i was told that the neck on my bass was slightly bent. Most likely from the shipping. Is that possible? I had never really noticed it before. He said it was fixable but money is a big issue for me. Does a bent neck screw with sound and how I play? Please help me..
    Lady Jayde
  2. dooberheim

May 17, 2002
    Hi Lady Jayde:

Any neck should be slightly "bent". There should be a gentle concave bend up the neck -- it is called "relief". You can check it by pressing one of your outside strings down at the first and highest fret (at the same time) and checking the clearance between the string and the 7th or 8th fret. (you'll need a capo or a friend to help you, and hold the bass in playing position when you do this). If you have automotive feeler gauges, the clearance should be about .015".

If the relief is much greater or less than this you may have buzzing frets or need to use excessively high action. The truss rod can be adjusted to give a proper amount of relief. Don't turn the truss rod too much (1/4 turn at one time is a lot). Let the adjustment settle in for a few hours and check again. If you don't feel confident doing this it is not expensive to have done.

There are several articles on neck setup in the setup forum and on the net in general -- Search!!!

If the neck is twisted axially or warped from shipping heat that is another matter, and that will have to be dealt with professionally. It is possible the neck might have to be replaced. If you think the tech may be giving you a story, take the bass somewhere else for another opinion.

Good Luck

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The last poster is right - just wanted to add that neck relief is very likely to change during shipping.

In fact on US Fenders shipped to the UK, there is a note included, explaining that this will happen and that you will need to adjust relief when it gets there. My RB5 had an explanatory booklet telling you how to do this.
  4. Lady Jayde

Lady Jayde

Jul 17, 2002
    Thnx alot guys :D. I will check it next time if have a chance. I just thought it was something major.
    Lady Jayde
  5. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002

I even remember a Fender tech note in the 70's advising to give the instrument a whack to align the strings on the neck, and then tighten the neck screws!