1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck blank cut questions - Quarter sawn and quality of cut

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by chinjazz, Jul 9, 2017.

1. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Hey Folks,

Since I'm embarking (or de-barking - lol), on building necks now, I have a spare pice to get the hang of cutting it, and orienting flatsawn to quartersawn. Seeking a bit of feedback. I realize there are varying opinions of Quarter sawn vs Flat, so I apologize with my redundancy.

With the standard blade that came with my WEN 10" band saw, I cut down the "middle" of this maple piece: (I didn't do high quality measuring, as the fence shifts a little when setting it - still getting used to it, but none the less - down the "middle").

1.FlatsawnStart.

After the cut:

Since I have no one to ask in person here, I'm wondering about the cutting quality:

2.Quality of Cuting right.

3.Quality of Cutting left.

Then for Quarter sawn orientation as I'm looking to make a laminated neck, is this the correct grain orientation?

4.Correct?.
    (obviously my use of a router planing sled jig is going to come in very handy for the real thing... :)

Top:

5.BookMatch.

Are the grain orientations rule of thumb, or as you laminate more pieces (like a middle stringer), does it become more aesthetics?

Thanks so much!

2. Jisch

Jisch Supporting Member

I think it looks correct, basically what I would do is take the two boards in the top picture, lift up from the center to rotate each 90 degrees and glue them together like that (my brain is having a hard time figuring out if that's what you did)

chinjazz likes this.
  3. chinjazz

chinjazz Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2002
    Atlantic Beach, FL
    Thanks Jisch! I think that's what I did. I like how you explained it. I think that will stick in my memory well :)