1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck blank question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ol'Bass'ead, Mar 13, 2009.

1. I recently glued up a neck blank using 3 pieces of fiddleback maple, and two purplehert stringers. It ended up 3" wide by 2" thick. I then cut it in half length-wize to get two neck blanks 1" x 3". When I was cutting them there was enough movement that the wood tried to pinch the sawblade, and when I put them back together, there is a 3/16" or so gap. They are 48" long, and I cant see the curve looking down them, but there is a gap when i put them back together. One of them is going into my neck-thru build, and the other is going to be a set neck. If I glue the fretboard on and clamp them straught will that work? Or am I worried about nothing? Will the string pull take care of it? How bout a 2-way T-rod? Any other method of getting them dead straight?

The wood is absolutely gorgeous, and I'd hate to scrap them.

thanks,
    Corey

2. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    if it is a large cupping, paint a layer of water on the bowed side, and clamp it to a table top, let it sit for a few days, or weeks if you want. and the bow should be out of it.

3. Its noy large at all. like I said I cant hardly see it sighting down its length.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    There is no such thing as dead straight wood.

You know which way the wood will be stressed from the strings so plan what bow you have in the neck to compensate.

5. Sounds like the wood was "casehardened". The term as used has nothing to do with hardness...it's really just stress induced by the drying process. The inner fibers were in tension but balanced. resawing allowed the tension to relax, creating the bow.

Sounds like the bow is about 0.09 in four feet. Not much. Pretty normal I'd say, especially in maple.

After cutting to length it will be even less. If you have enough meat you could flatten it with a jointer or hand plane.

Les

6. I believe it is about that. And after I cut the scarf joint it was barely noticeable. I think that when I put the CF rods in, Ill just clamp it flat and let the epoxy cure. Should be fine.

thanks,
    Corey