1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

neck/body laminates...?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Sep 26, 2001.

1. I'm just reading through the "How To Buy An Electric Bass" of The Bass Player Book because I'm oh-so-bored :)p) and I read something about "The Body" regarding multi-laminate bodies...

So...I'm wondering, if I can see and feel the places where the body wings are stuck onto the neck of my NS 2000/4, would that make it an "ultra-cheap" bass?

And...while we're at it, does the NS 2000/4 have a 3 piece neck? I think I can see a center piece to the neck through the finish, but I'm not too sure. The wing/neck piece joints are very obvious, though.

Oh yeah, and if this belongs in "basses" or "setup" or some other part of TB, feel free to move it. :)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I think you can always see where the joins are and a lot of manufacturers use contrasting exotic woods so it's quite clear - but I don't think you should be able to feel the joins, or this is going to have on impact on how the neck feels. It's only a slight consideration, but I think that on an expensive and especially a hand-made bass; the finish should be perfect.

I think if you could feel the joins I might also be worried about shoddy construction and whether the thing was going to hold together; although this would be a symptom rather than an actual cause for concern in this respect.

3. :eek::eek::eek:

Wait...lemme just make sure we're talking about the same kind of feel here...

I meant that when I flip the bass over and look at the back, I can see the lines that show where the wings are joined to the neck piece, and if it's a 3 piece neck, where the neck pieces are joined together.
    Then if I run my fingers over them I can feel the difference in height/level between the neck & wings. And from what I can see and feel, the difference in level/height is the same on either side of the neck.

I cannot, however, see or feel any lines running across the back of the neck. And since all the wood is painted black except the fingerboard, I can't tell if the neck is 3 piece or not.