1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck/Body Wood Combinations, Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by wave rider, Oct 3, 2008.

1. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    On a lark, I picked up a Warmoth Maple/Maple four string neck on Ebay.

What body wood(s) would be a good choice for these neck woods? Or does it matter at all? Do some body woods sound "brighter" or "darker" or will this just bring up another episode of the Tone Wood Wars™®©?

If you ask me what my tonal goals are, I'll just get confused and even more adorable. :bag:

I'm a mere hobbyist using Bass Therapy™®© to exercise other parts of my brain and release my clumsy but sincere inner grooves. I've marveled at the talent I've heard from TB members and consider myself slightly more talented than a bass stand. Sometimes. I would consider a geezer band gig if the pay was right... :rolleyes:

I'm mainly searching for opinions that folks have. What other parameters should I consider besides just the cosmetic ones?

A big thanks in advance,
    =wr=

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
  3. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Thanks! I'd seen that one but wondered about other resources. Also noticed last night that they listed concalo alves for use on necks but not fingerboards and they sell them with.

=wr=

4. "What other parameters should I consider besides just the cosmetic ones?"
    The density of the body wood will be reflected in the weight of the guitar, which can be an issue for some.

5. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Good thought about weight, thanks.

I'll have to weigh the neck, wouldn't want the dreaded neck dive...

=wr=

6. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    anything really, for lightness, swamp ash or alder. For fancy stuff, mahogany or black limba. For the fancy top, flame maple, quilted maple, walnut, bubinga...

Black limba is black korina btw. Similar to mahogany.

Personnaly, I'd go black limba body, flame maple top.