1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck bolts and anchors

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rocky McDougall, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Can someone give me a supplier for blolts with anchors that are be suitable for bass neck attachment. I have seen anchors used in the body/neck cavity but having a hard time locating some.

2. Rocky,

Just ordered some yesterday from Luthier's Mercantile International, Inc. (LMI). Go to their site and click on the "Mostly Not Wood" section. They are under "Truss Rods/Neck Parts". Hope this helps!

3. Dave Kerr

Dave Kerr

Mar 8, 2009
    Rockler stocks threaded inserts, too.

4. McMaster-Carr has every kind of bolt and threaded insert you could imagine.

If only they carried ferrules for the bolt heads...

5. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    the LMI inserts are brass - I highly recommend avoiding brass inserts for use in hardwoods. it's really easy to crack the brass as you're installing them ... and then you have a really BIG mess to fix.

I utilize hardened steel inserts in my builds and have never had an issue. I have a great supply of these because I purchase them in bulk. As noted above McMaster is one of several places you can find these (but they're not my source)

Steel10-24WoodInserts.

all the best,

R

6. Interesting point, Rodent. I will have to practice on some scrap wood to see if I encounter any problems prior to installing the brass ones on my new build. I have used a couple of different techniques to install similar types of inserts in metal, but those were either steel or stainless steel. I have access to steel and stainless inserts for metal at work, but I avoided them because of the relatively fine external threads. I felt that they would possibly pull out of the wood easier than the LMI ones, which have a much coarser external thread. We'll see how it goes!

7. When installing either brass or steel in hardwood, I would think drilling the acceptance hole is critical for it's size to prevent spliting the wood. Also, some type of lubricant (soap) might be justified. I would install them with a bolt and jamb nut rather that a screw driver type tool.