1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

neck boogers?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by wfmandmusic, Jan 10, 2012.

1. wfmandmusic

wfmandmusic Banned

Jul 26, 2011
    I did a search and did not find exactly what I was looking for so here goes,
    I have a 1957 RI Fender Pbass. The neck is one of the nicest I have ever played on as far as the specs go. It has a vintage tint high gloss finish on it. I usually play on high gloss necks without any problems. On this neck, even after cleaning it really well 3 times, I keep getting what I would call neck boogers while I'm playing. I would swear the freekin finish is coming off as I play on it. It is really annoying me and becoming frustrating as last night I could actually see really small amounts of some kind of substance coming off the neck. Then where this happens, the neck feels rough and you end up running your hand along a piece of smoothness, to hit a rough patch.
    What's going on with this neck? Not dried and hardened properly? I really don't want to sand on it because I really like a glossy neck but have never had this issue before. Any ideas will be appreciated and thanks.

2. wfmandmusic

wfmandmusic Banned

Jul 26, 2011
    Sorry thats a 1957 AV neck.

3. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    This sometimes happens with me and glossy necks. As my hands get a little sweaty it exfoliates and starts collecting what looks like eye boogers off a dog lol (but much smaller). I usually have very dry hands, but if it's a hot club and my hands sweat I will take my bass out the next day and find a collection on the base of the back of the headstock.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    This, and especially with nitro finishes (as on AVRIs) small amounts of the neck finish may very well be rubbing off as you play.