1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck bow on a '62 Danelectro short horn

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by audiomitch, Oct 13, 2010.

1. AFAIK, there's no truss rod. I inherited this bass from an old friend. He stored it in a garage for at least 35 years. It was strung to pitch with flats that whole time. The neck bow is pretty bad. Is there any way of correcting it myself that wouldn't trash it's originality?

1961_Dano_bass.jpg

2. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I currently have 3 Dano basses from that period and have had several others over the years and I've never seen one with a warped or bowed neck but I have had a few that could use a flat shim in the neck pocket to improve the action.

3. Mustangbass

Mustangbass

Sep 25, 2006
    CT.
    Yes - I bought a '59 Dano Shorthorn a while back and the neck had been "steamed" and flattened prior to my purchase. It has been fine since. You can get most luthiers to do this. It shouldn't be expensive. Maybe $40 - $50.

4. Great! I have something to go on now. Thanks!

5. Natropath

Natropath

Apr 13, 2010
    Most people don't steam necks, that for removing dovetail joints. What you need is a heat press. Steaming a neck wouldn't do much.

Regardless, this bass totally can and should be saved.