Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck Bow Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thewanderer24, May 13, 2002.

1. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Hi All, I have an old Ibanez SR800 bass (late 80's or early 90's time frame).

I just put some new strings on it, heavier strings than I have been using, and I notice the neck bowing more than I would like, which makes for higher action than I want. This is a problem that can't be fixed just by lowering the bridge saddles.

I read up on adjusting the truss rod, went and got my bass out, looked for the screw, and couldn't find anything... Am I missing something here??

All I see is 3 small screws holding a small plate to the headstock right at the nut at the top of the fretboard. Also the 4 screws holding the neck on the body of the bass. There is no screw/bolt for adjusting the truss rod that I can find.

Is it possible that this thing has no truss rod?? Or is access to it "hidden"?? (perhaps under the plate on the headstock?)

Anyone here familiar enough with this particular instrument to help me out?

2. DOnt be afraidto remove the plate, theres where youll find the screw of the truss rod..

If you read something on adjusting it you must already know how to turn the screw.. Just don´t turn it too much.. and be careful..

3. thewanderer24

thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Thanks for the quick response on my question. I guess I was just a little afraid to take that plate off, not knowing what was underneath, but I guess that is the answer. I'll give it a try tonight and report back tomorrow on how it goes...