Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck bow

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Banquo, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Banquo

Banquo

Jan 30, 2006
    hello all,

i have a question about the bow in the neck. is the bow suppose to be consistent through the neck? the neck is straight to the 14th fret, then bends then keeps straight through the 24th fret. i think the causes some fret buzz thing when i tap above the 14th because up the there it sounds clean. any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are welcome. thanks

daniel

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That problem happens a lot with bolt on necks. You may have to shim the neck pocket a bit and fool with setup. In some cases leveling the higher frets may have to be done.

It depends on how much that bass is important to you. Some repairs are just not cost effective.

I did work on a number of Ovation acoustic guitars that always seemed to have that problem.

Check out the sticky threads above.

3. Banquo

Banquo

Jan 30, 2006
    this is a neck through. i thought about leveling the frets but i dont know if it would help this problem. i bought the bass used and the frets were pretty badly worn when i got them. i use flat wounds and after a while the frets smoothed out but i cant tell if there level.

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    In extreme cases the frets can be removed, the neck planed level and then re fretted, but that's an expensive solution.

There was a thread about that at the Dude Pit-Michael Dolan site. You might want to ask him.

5. Daniel,

It's been my experience that not all bass necks bow in the same place, and not all respond the same to truss rod adjustments.
    Have you checked your relief? Sure, the frets may be worn and need leveling or replacing, but I'd tune her up, check relief, and make truss adjustments first before I wrote it off as bad frets.
    By the way, how did you check the neck to notice the bow at the 14th?

Mag...

6. Banquo

Banquo

Jan 30, 2006
    the frets were just a thought. the relief is good and ive made truss adjustments to just above where the frets buzz on the frist few. i noticed the bow first by eye then using a ruler as a straight edge against the neck.