Neck Care

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bluebomber, Jun 15, 2000.

1. Bluebomber

May 2, 2000
    i have a spector ns-2000 neck through bass...and i was wondering what kind of things i should do to make sure the neck stays in shape...are there specific things? Do neck through basses warp easier than bolt on basses?
  2. Scok

Apr 20, 2000
    I really don't think neck care should be an issue if you have it set up properly. I think neck throughs are more stable than bolt on's and don't really warp, unless under extreme stress. So don't worry about it. [​IMG] (ps I'm going on what I've been told, trust no-one, especially me, they are always watching.)
  3. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    There are some things to remember about caring for your neck...wipe it down with a towel after playing. When you cahnge strings wipe the wood down with a little lemon oil(this keps the wood moist)if your neck has a clear coat then dont bother.Dont expose it to extreme temperature changes like storing it next to an outside window or keeping it in the trunk when its 90degrees out. If you are going to store your bass for a while then leave it stung up(dont loosen the strings) basses were made to be played so keeping the tension on the neck is not a problem.(you do when its being played everyday) Just treat it nice..dont smack it around and it'll be just fine......late. [​IMG]
  4. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Datsgor:
    When you cahnge strings wipe the wood down with a little lemon oil(this keps the wood moist)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roger Sadowsky recommends AGAINST using lemon oil on the fingerboard, says that it actually causes the wood to dry out because it is heavy in solvent content. He recommends instead using boiled linseed oil... wipe it on, don't let it sit, wipe it off.

Judging by his basses, I think he probably knows what he's talking about. ;-)