1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Neck choice for Warmoth build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jonnymac, May 4, 2019.

1. Status Graphite P bass neck

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Warmoth roasted maple P bass neck

19 vote(s)
    59.4%
  3. Warmoth wenge P bass neck

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. jonnymac

jonnymac Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Yesterday I ordered a jazz body from Warmoth for a a build that will be similar to the Fender Flea active bass when done. The body is the crackle/blue taos finish J body all the way to the left.

I ordered it with a sweet spot pickup route, 4 knob holes, side jack, and battery box. I have a Lane Poor legacy MM pickup to install in it that I am going to mate with the Darkglass Tone Capsule preamp. I'm thinking I'm going to lean towards black hardware.

Now my only decision is what neck to use. I'm going to go with a a fatter P-bass neck as I typically find those to be more comfortable. With the current exchange rate I think I can get a Status neck for a little under $500 shipped. I'm also thinking about a Warmoth wenge/wenge neck or a Warmoth roasted maple/roasted maple neck.

I already have a Modulus FU with a Lane Poor/OBP-1. I don't necessarily need the graphite neck but I think the black would look good on the bass. I've never used a roasted maple neck so I'm not sure what the tone characteristics are. I was considering wenge thinking I could get some nice growl with the Darkglass/wenge combo.

So what neck should I pick and why?

[​IMG]

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    When roasted maple is an option, you choose roasted maple.

Hank Scorpio likes this.
  3. jonnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    That also happens to be the least expensive of the 3. Warmoth's website says it is OK to leave the roasted maple unfinished. Any reason to have a finish applied?

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Depends on personal taste I suppose. My Classic Stingray has a glossy finish on the roasted maple neck and it looks phenomenal.

jonnymac likes this.
  5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I voted for the graphite neck only because I think it would complement the body finish.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  6. All 3 are great choices and they don’t need finishing (bonus!). From personal experience, Wenge would be good.

7. jonnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I was thinking the wenge may pair well with the dark glass pre

8. I have a Warmoth Roasted Maple/ Ebony fretless neck. I love it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, a dark Wenge headstock would look Killer, especially with that body.

9. Tom0Blam0

Tom0Blam0 Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2014
    I have a roasted maple jazz from warmoth and it's great

10. jonnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I'm looking at what they have in stock now I'm eyeing the roasted flamed maple

11. I would have voted graphite except you already have Modulus with a similar setup

So I voted roasted

Sounds like a great bass either way!

12. FRoss6788

FRoss6788 Gold Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Santa Cruz Mountains
    Wenge all the way..
    Still miss the '98 Warwick Vette I let go, BEST feeling neck of any bass I've had.

jonnymac likes this.
  13. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    I used to have 8 Status necks on my builds and they are great. However, they have a flatter radius (16"?) than Warmoth's 10" and are not available with stainless steel frets -which in the long run saves refretting costs and heart break when you notice your Status neck's final frets are getting consumed from slapping.....

Roasted maple is lighter than all the options but to my eyes always looks grubby / dirty and when I applied tung oil to my neck, it always had a certain 'stickiness' to it. I always use Warmoth finished necks from now on but their Precision bass necks are also very wide at the nut compared to Status's.

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    jonnymac likes this.
  14. jonnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    How much fret work typically needs to be done on a Warmoth? What about a Status neck? I'm just trying to weigh all of the factors here

15. Roast, all day, all night.

Doing a roasted maple FB too?

I’m a sucker for roasted Birdseye maple like on those old EBMM Neptune blue PDN Bongos

16. jonnymac

Apr 23, 2009
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Yes if I get roasted maple I'll go for the roasted maple fb as well. I don't see any roasted birdseye maple in stock at Warmoth but there are a few flamed maple. I guess I could order one custom but that would take longer. I was thinking about this one. I still don't know if I should get it finished or leave it as is.

[​IMG]

17. God that’s gorgeous. I may buy one of those for my PJ build.

RE finish- that gunstock oil finish on the new Stingray specials is luxurious. I’ll probably go that or a similar route whenever I order mine- nice and slick, matte, and it smells lovely.

18. HalfManHalfBass

HalfManHalfBass

Jan 21, 2003
    Very little on both. I have experience of over 10 necks from both manufacturers and both brands (with finished necks) have all played well out of the box.

I unfortunately have had 3 Warmoth unfinished necks (all ebony fretboards on wenge necks) arrive slightly warped -so I only ever buy finished necks now.

If you play with a lowish action like me (1.5mm to 1.75mm at the 12th fret) it is possible that you may need a little levelling work, but I've had many necks from both manufacturers that didn't need anything done. it's a crap shoot as always with these things.

jonnymac likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021