1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck Cleaning...Sorry

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SMHP, Aug 30, 2007.

1. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    I own a Stingray 5-string with a maple neck. I LOVE THIS BASS. I would seriously cry if anything were to happen to it. While i know alot about gear, i know very little about repair or maintanence.
    Anyways, recently ive noticed there is quite a bit of dirt/grime in between the frets. I KNOW THERE IS A TON OF MATERIAL ON THIS SUBJECT. i have researched it throughly and have read every method. I am just horrified that i am going to do something wrong because i love this bass so much and i have so little experience with this type of thing.

Is there anyone willing to just type out a very MILD method of cleaning my MAPLE fretboard that is easy enough that i can do it. I just want it to shine like it used to.

Thankyou and im sorry if everyone is sick of answering this i just want someone to tell me everything is going to be ok. haha

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    ok Horrified......LMAO feeling like Dear Abby today....LOL

Toothbrush, toothpick, and alcohol.

Goto Walmart or something and get 2 cheapy tooth brushes. 1 firm and 1 medium. a few round toothpicks and some alcohol(rubbing/isopropyl is fine)

Take the toothpicks, and scrape away any and all excess grime you can.

Take the firm toothbrush, and do the same thing to remove any fine particulates.

Take medium tooth brush, dip in alcohol and brush across the frets, wiping up excess with paper towel.

You can then take some Carnauba wax and apply to frets and board, allow to haze, then buff it off with a terrycloth rag, or other type of rag.

This will get it back to looking good. BUT REMEMBER, Maple gets dirty, and it very hard to keep looking relatively new. It's all about upkeep, but it will never look perfectly new once you have started playing it.

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Musiclogic... which is the finish that prevents or protect more a maple fretboards from dirt?

4. SMHP

SMHP

Jan 3, 2007
    San Diego
    thankyou so much, im just paranoid.

5. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Most maple boards are sprayed with lacquer or polyurethane. Pedulla uses polyester. Polyester is probably the best, but not readilly available to everyone. I would suggest Target Coatings 9000 Polyurethane, as it is polyester based, and dries very hard.