1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck crack?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Franco77, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Franco77

Franco77

Aug 4, 2012
    hi, i'm new in here, i just wanted to know how expensive would be to repair this:

[​IMG]

it's from Washburn ob35 5 strings.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    repair what?

3. Franco77

Franco77

Aug 4, 2012
    the crack dude, that line in the right.

4. Your picture doesn't show up.

5. Your Facebook link isn't working. Try uploading the image.

6. Franco77

Franco77

Aug 4, 2012
    Theres a crack, in the center, its like 1.7 inches long. Do you know if is this dangeros? how much will it cost to repair it?

Attached Files:

7. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    The picture is dark and grainy so it is hard to tell much. The dark mark appears to be a scratch rather than a crack. If it is indeed a crack, the procedure is to open the crack, clean it, force (wood) glue into the crack and clamp until set. Cleanup followed by touch-up completes the task. Charged by the hour, roughly an hours' worth of work if the crack does not elongate while opening/cleaning. Work like this can always take longer because problems have a way of cropping up during the task.

If it is a scratch clean it, touch up, and play.

8. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Doesn't look like a crack to me, either, but as previously noted, hard to tell from the photo quality.

9. Franco77

Franco77

Aug 4, 2012
    Sorry about the quality, but i assure you, it's a crack, it looks like .1 inches deep. So it's expensive to send it to a luthier?

10. Is the truss rod adjustment at the headstock? If so the crack is probably the result of overtightening. Since it's in the grain direction, it really doesn't compromise the strength of the neck there. However it may get bigger over time. Really shouldn't be terribly expensive to fix. If it were mine, I'd remove the truss rod nut, flow some thin CA glue into the crack and call it a day.

11. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    If it is a crack then you will be paying for the repairman's time. Minimum one hour. Could be an hour and a half or two if things go south in the middle of the job. They shouldn't. So figure an hour and a half at whatever your local rate is. If he can finish in an hour you will be pleased. If it takes him two, you are prepared for the sticker shock.

12. Franco77

Franco77

Aug 4, 2012
    how much would you charge?

13. Franco77

Franco77

Aug 4, 2012
    Actually it is. So, isnt a big deal? i was a bit worried.

14. I don't think it's a big deal.