neck crackin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kearney, Nov 26, 2004.

1. kearney

Jul 5, 2004
    i just noticed my jazz bass's neck cracks if you push against it hard enough, like hold the bottom horn and pull up on the neck, *crack!* and hold the top horn and push down*crack!* ive noticed that i can fit a pick between the neck and body at the place where the neck meets the body(joint?), its actually pretty nifty and efficiant rather than putting it under te pickguard and possibly cracking it, anything i should know? id just steer clear of trying to crack it.

ps: we call my dad's univox hi flyer "the noodle neck". you can simulate a tremelo by holdin the neck tight in a chord and pressing your forearm against the body and pry with your left hand with little to no effort and it sounds like you got a tremelo.
  2. I had a 3 bolt Telecaster that you could move the neck sideways and it would be out of tune, move it back and it would pop right back in.

Be careful doing neck bends, it can be bad, I've heard of people snapping necks or neck joints that way.

OTOH, it's really fun putting your left hand behind the nut and putting your right hand about where you'd rest your elbow, and push. A more "Jimmy Page" way of doing a neck bend.
  3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

If you go too far with those neck & body bends, feel comforted in the fact that as we sit aimiably chatting at, someone somewhere is assembling your next Jazz Bass.