Neck (cracks) repair

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by standup17, Aug 25, 2004.

1. Hello, I recently purchased American Standard #2090, thanks to everyone that posted regarding the age/origin of the bass.

The bass is in need of some TLC. There is a crack through the neck block (at least the part I can see) the roughly parallels the fingerboard, a crack into the back-bottom of the peghead that is also about parallel to the fingerboard, and a crack where the back of the neck block attaches to the body.

Seems all of these cracks could have happened in one fall, or something.

So, can this neck be salvaged alright? It has some pretty sticky paint on it that I would prefer to have stripped, any problems there?

Also, the bass needs a new bridge. Would you advise for or against one with adjusters.

Finally, it has the original endpin that has been pulled off to one side a bit. Should I endeavor to keep it on the bass?

Thanks in advance for your time,
  2. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My sister is a luthier in Los Angeles, and she's a terrible wise-ass.

She would say, "Hold your bass closer to the computer monitor so I can get a better look."

Ya gotta take it to a luthier that works on basses, Z. Nobody can answer these questions except in person.
  3. I know a reputable and experienced luthier here in AZ that did a great job on a broken mandolin of mine. Just wondering if this AS bass warrants someone special to work on it. Like in terms of "preservation" or something. This is the 1st vintage instrument I've owned.

Tried to attach some photos but failed.

Thanks again,
  4. The word Luthier seems to mean different things to different people. The are guitar makers/repair persons who call themselves luthiers, but the great majority of these guitar family luthiers dont have a clue about the proper way to repair or setup a doublebass. You need to make sure that the luthier that is going to work on your bass is someone who has a track record of good repairs to basses of other experienced players. You can not assume that someone who does good work on one type of instrument is going to do equally good work on a DB. While all guitar family instuments and all violin family instruments have strings, for the most part that is where the similarity ends.