Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck curvature over time

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Apr 18, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I've read that wooden necks take some time to settle in to truss rod adjustments. I've also read that necks tend to "stiffen" over time, becoming harder and less flexible.

My question is, if I have a neck that is incorrectly adjusted, is it possible the bass might be ruined over time, so that it would eventually become impossible to adjust it correctly?

2. michaelsanford

michaelsanford Guest

Apr 4, 2004
    Depends how bad the adjustment is, but if it's only a minor 'mistake' then I wouldn't say it would completely ruin your bass...others may disagree.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Wood is pretty resilient (as apposed to say steel). I think you could probably get it back unless the neck is so brittle it breaks. I once say a suggestion that if you are having trouble getting the neck flat, take the neck off and force a backbow into it for a while. Luckily, I have never had to try this! (Hmmm, I wonder if the "Mistress of Smilies" has a crossed fingers smiley :p )