Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

neck curvature (the wrong way)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by paintandsk8, Sep 15, 2003.

1. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Ahh! I'm rebuilding a 65' vox wyman and realized that the neck is curved...Side to Side. Like if i lay the neck on its side on a flat surface there is a 1/4 inch gap in the middle. Can this be made straight again through steady pressure? Or is the neck trash. and on that note does anyone know where i could find a replacement neck for a wyman?

2. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Was talking with my luthier and mentioned this.
    His first comment was, you're SOL, but then he said heat straigtening was worth trying.

Luthiers have metal heating elements they use to
    to heat necks to remove glued fingerboards. He would remove the fingerboard and jig the neck up and try heating and applying pressure. He was not overly optimistic about the results, but it was worth a shot, he felt.

A replacement might be more playable. Depends on what this is, a restoration to stock, or a piece you want to play.

Thor

3. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    thanks for the advice, i have it in a jig right now but haven't used any heat i'll try it though. I'm not that concerned about making it stock but i have had some trouble finding a replacement Neck. Vox replacement parts are hard to come by.

4. Thor

If you want more info on it, call Noll guitars
    and ask for Stan. That's the guy I discussed it with. Good man.

Noll Guitars
    Stan Venkewiecz and Jim Landry
    Pontiac Mills
    Warwick RI 02887
    401-732-7997

I really think how the heat is applied is an issue. You might ask him what he would charge to do this, if you just mailed him the neck.

I think they are great at what they do, used them forever.

Thor

Good luck.

5. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Well I jigged it up, used a blow drier on it for about 20 minutes, then wrapped it up in a heating for about 4 hours and let it cool over night. That process reduced the bowing by about half. So maybe I have a chance at saving it with more time and heat.

6. Thor

Yeah, I'd give it another go, definitely. I would think the heating pad would be more efficient than an industrial dryer. If the fretboard loosens, then you will have to reattach it later.

Good job! I'm impressed!

Thor

PS, can you post up any pictures of the process?

7. paintandsk8

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    Sure, I'll work on that