1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck Dive - Fixed but not.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by epy, Jan 22, 2012.

1. epy

epy

Jun 15, 2006
    I took my bass in (a Fender '51 Precision Bass, all maple neck) in to the shop to have them adjust for a diving neck. It was getting bad and hard to play. So, the tech their adjusts it. I realize it is winter and this stuff happens. I get it back and it is okay for a week, but now seems to be bad again. Any suggestions? Is it the truss? I'm not sure on this one. It is bending towards the bridge as in "Head-\_/-Body".

Thanks

2. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    That isn't neck dive - that is relief. Search for that here; there are a ton of posts on proper relief and how it can change with weather.

3. Neck dive refers to a heavy neck that you have to hold up with your fretting hand while you play. Not recoverable/adjustable unless you really do surgery to get the headstock weight down (like using ultralight tuning machines). Only realistic solutions involve straps or relocating the attachment for straps. Usually basses with neck dive already have the attachment as far toward the headstock as feasible already.

4. epy

epy

Jun 15, 2006
    Sorry, I meant bowing. I almost always call it diving for some reason. I will take a look in the search thanks.