1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck Dive in both Asat models?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by imandan, Apr 23, 2009.

1. imandan

imandan

Apr 30, 2006
    New Jersey
    Just received a semi hollow asat and while it plays and sounds fantastic the neck dive issue is forcing me to return it. Question: Does the solid body Asat have the same neck dive issue?

2. They're all going to be different, but the solid bodies will also have a tendency toward neck diving. It should be less than the hollow bodies, but it's usually going to be there.

You can mitigate the problem by using a strap that has a non-skid surface, such as suede. If you find an older 3 bolt ASAT, you might scratch around for ASATMAN's ASE (ASAT Strap Extender). This will place the strap button in roughly the same location as you'd find on a traditional body. They're long out of production, but you might turn one up.

You could always staple the strap to your shoulder, but that is a little extreme. :D

Ken...

3. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I have the solid body, and there was some neck dive. Most people seem to compensate by using a wide, non-slip strap. I was never quite happy with that.

However, I finally ran into Dan the ASATMAN at the old dudepit. He sold me an ASE (ASAT strap extender). It replaces the bolt plate on the back, and extends the place the strap button attaches by a good 3". Looks a bit like the strap hook on a Steinberg Synapse. It took my ASAT from having a bit of a neck dive and a neck that seemed to stick WAY out to being perfectly balanced.

The ASE is expensive but worth it if Dan is still selling them...

4. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I also had an ASAT with the strap extender and it worked well.

5. fender3x

fender3x

Mar 12, 2006
    I am not sure they were ever really in production. If you wanted one, Dan Pierce (ASATMAN) would make you one for around $65.

asatmangroup.

You can see the ASE sticking up over the horn on three of these basse that belonged to Dan. I say belonged, because the he indicated in a post over at BABPs that he has sold most of his collection. It may be that he's no longer playing ASATs anymore.

I got ASE in 2006. Last post from him at BABP was about a year ago--although he may have changed his handle since he has sold most or all of his ASATs.

If you want to try to contact him,PM me, and I'll send you the contact info I have for him...which may or may not work since I have not used it for 3 years...

6. dukeplaysbass

dukeplaysbass Supporting Member

I have 2 solidbody ASATs. One has zero neck dive. The other has a little, but the neoprene-backed strap I have cures it.