Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Neck dive (oh and tone too)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by j b scott, Dec 11, 2002.

1. yo i recently bought an ESP ltd series bass, and it has a slight problem with neck diving.

It is not half as bad as a mate of mine has which tries to hit the floor everytime you let go of it, but it's still annoying.

Just wondering if there is something maybe involving wights or somthing that can be done. :rolleyes:

On another note,
    the tone is slightly to metallic/tinny (despite using fingers and not a pick), and alot of finger noise is picked up. I've also used the EQ and the amp settings to miniminise these problems.

I was thinking about getting some nickel strings, do you think this would solve these problems?
    (Specifically DR sunbeams) :confused:

thanks for reading, and all feedback will be appreciated! :)

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I think the only simple improvement for neck dive is to get a shoulder strap that doesn't slide too easily on your shoulder.

Some people have installed extensions on the upper horn to get better balance, ugly but efficient.

Don't know this specific bass so I can't say anything about tone.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Re. the neck dive, I can recommend two things. One, get a good, wide strap ( 3 1/2" at least). If that doesn't do it, try relocating the strap button on the bridge side higher - that should shift the center of gravity and reduce the neck dive.

4. keepmusicevil

keepmusicevil

Jul 1, 2002
    San Diego
    I heard this yesterday in another column here: put the both ends of the strap on the same button. Works great and is cheap without modifing your Bass

Thanks to whoever it was that recommended it!

5. Another approach is to raise the location of the rear strap button on the body. Bringing it up an inch or so will do wonders for the balance.

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    A single, central button in the center of gravity is superb. Then you can sling sthe strap over the other shoulder, wich relieves some tension, so you can play longer and better.

second choice is to get a better strap and move up the rear button. If that doesn't make it, the upper horn must be extended.

Re. tone: turn down the treble/tone control on the bass. And you'll probably have to consider new strings.
    "Compressed" will reduce the finger noice, and groundwounds will nearly eliminate it.

7. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I second the vote for groundwound strings (also called halfrounds) They're a bit boomier and thumpier than rounds, but not as dead as flats...They also are MUCH easier on the fingers and fretboard than roundwounds, and have virtually no finger squeaking. A set of these will fix your finger noise problem, and also more than likely your tinny/metallic sound.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think nickels are much better for this reason - I always opt for nickels nowadays.

I got a setup at the Bass centre and they put on some new Stainless Steel strings and it was like - argghh...! - metallic, scratchy and loads of finger noise. I swapped them straight away for a set of Slowounds and it was great again!!

9. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I have added upper horn extensions on two of my basses. I just finished adding an extension on my Hofner copy last night, and it greatly improved the neck dive. I made my extension out of metal shelf brackets that I riveted together and shaped on a belt sander. I painted it black and sprayed it with polyurethane, and inlaid it on the back where the strap button was. It is virtually unnoticeable from the front when I'm playing.

I did exactly the same thing with a Steinberger Spirit, and you can't really see it at all. I absolutely abhor neck dive, and if I can't fix it, I will get rid of the bass. My Spirit is very comfortable now and stays right in position. The Hofner clone does not balance perfectly, but is darn close and way better than before.

10. thanks dudes, i just wanted to let you guys know that your advise has indeed aided my problems.

the guys at the local music shop had some issue understanding any relationship whatsoever between tone and strings. And just kept recommending different brands of stainless steel strings (the only type they stocked) :rolleyes:

so i plan on visiting a really good shop a bit further out and experimenting with some nickel and some groundwound strings, as well as raising the strap thingy by an inch, to find the balance, as you guys have recommended!