1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Neck dive on '96 Deluxe Active Jazz vs JO4, Hipshot ultralights? Need Recc.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by palmettobum, Apr 23, 2009.

1. IMG_2805.
    IMG_2808.

So I am the proud new owner of this fine instrument, my first jazz and first mia bass. Love the tone and action, but the neck is like weighing me down, man! I have only been messin with basses a couple of years, and a skyline 44-01 is my main instrument. I dont know if its the wood on the lakland neck or what, but the 44-01 will stay perfectly balanced (neck elevated 30^ or so) around my neck, with my hands on or off, and really feels effortless to play. I love this instrument.

Not so with the neck on this jazz. With no hands, the headstock will drop down to my waist, sometimes more. It takes much more effort to hold this bass in playing position. I get fatigued way faster in practice. So I have a couple of questions for you guys. Will installing hipshot ultralights help this problem at all? Am I just a wimp?

I'm looking at this set, not even sure if they will fit:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Hipshot-HB6C-1-2-Bass-Tuning-Machine-Set-363044-i1424021.gc

Secondly, I am gassing hard for a skyline Joe Osborn 4. (in black/maple btw if anyone can help). Before I throw down the cash, I would love to hear some opinions on neck dive with a JO4 vs. American Deluxe Jazz. I am hoping to find another life partner in the JO4- do you think I will? I really hope to find a jazz style instrument I can love. for under a grand lol. :)

Many thanks,
    palmettobum

2. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Hipshot ultralights are about half a pound lighter than regular tuners, for a set of four.

At the end of a long lever, which is your neck, it's a LOT of weight. I'm quite sure it will help.

3. Never heard of a neckdiving problem on a JO4 but it is also the first time I hear about neckdive on MIA dlx jazz.

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Wider strap

5. 3" leather levys dude!

edit: do I need the 3/8" or 1/2" hipshot hb6c?

thanks for the help.